PDA

View Full Version : "Cage" for the Fuel Tank

Bostonian1976
05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Has anyone ever tried to install a protective cage around the fuel tank? I'll be occasionally driving my Rover (the limestone one) around Boston and the chances of getting hit on side are a lot greater around here. I saw a bad accident the other day where a Saab came down a one way street the wrong way and barrelled into a guy just cruising along on the perpendicular street. Made me realize that if I were hit like that in the Rover with the fuel tank where it is, it might not be pretty.

A fabbed cage connected to the frame around the fuel tank might help......what say you? I'm a bit cautious when it comes to safety....

leafsprung
05-22-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/skidplates/skidplate1.jpg

Tim Smith
05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
It may not be exactly what you were thinking of, but what about some heavy duty rock sliders? That might help side impacts a bit more but it would have to be just the right size car to make a difference. Maybe a combo rock slider and tank protector?

Just think if you had under-seat-fill military tanks like my 88. I have a real fear about the tanks letting loose and spraying fuel (most likely ignited) up into the cab. :eek:

Yet another reason why I wish I had a diesel with a vegetable oil conversion.

Bostonian1976
05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
yeah the skid plate is better......but I think the side is still exposed. I was really thinking about some sort of heavy duty cage all the way around it (with room to spare in case of bends)

The rock slider idea isn't bad either....

msggunny
05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
The whole idea of burning to death because of getting slammed in the side doesn't sit well with me either. There is a way to put in a Jeep CJ tank in the rear between the frame rails. Much safer, especially if you use a poly tank. Of course if you are a "purist".............

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/88rearTank.htm

Its next on the list of things to do, right after putting my truck back together.

luckyjoe
05-23-2007, 07:52 AM
I've thought about the rear tank for additional fuel storage. You could put in a 109SW rear tank.

Anyone know if a Defender rear (plastic) tank will fit a series frame?

Regards,

Tom P.

LaneRover
05-23-2007, 09:11 AM
I like the idea about putting on rocksliders for tank / person inside protection.

Of course that may not help me in an accident in my '66 with no seat belts...

TeriAnn
05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I like the idea about putting on rocksliders for tank / person inside protection.

Of course that may not help me in an accident in my '66 with no seat belts... My to-do list includes a set of custom sliders that tie to both the front and rear fuel tank cross members, making a four sided cage. So far I have yet to see a commercial rock slider that I thought made sense on a Series rig with side fuel tanks. Maybe I'll put that project in line behind my 24 spline front axle conversion, which is #2 in line behind the repairs currently underway from my last trip. #1 in line behind the repairs is converting from lap belts to 3 point harness (That project is 90% completed on the passenger side already). There is no reason why you can not add seat belts to your '66 LR.

LaneRover
05-24-2007, 12:06 PM
There is absolutely no reason I couldn't put seatbelts in my '66 - I just haven't. I have even had the seatbelts to put in since last April.

Of course the truck is in Maine and I am currently in SoCal

leafsprung
05-24-2007, 04:12 PM
So far I have yet to see a commercial rock slider that I thought made sense on a Series rig with side fuel tanks.

explain please

daveb
05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Ike, I think what TeA is saying is that the tanks hang lower than the sliders.

explain please

leafsprung
05-25-2007, 01:00 PM
unclear, obviously you need a skid plate if you are going to see rocks, not sure what that has to do with sliders though. The best solution is a custom tank with a 3/16 bottom.

Tim Smith
05-25-2007, 08:51 PM
unclear, obviously you need a skid plate if you are going to see rocks, not sure what that has to do with sliders though. The best solution is a custom tank with a 3/16 bottom.

After the description of that accident, my thinking for the sliders was to add custom sliders/side impact beams.

If you added half inch thick T-beams right where your side skirts should go, welded that to some more heavy steel that is mounted to the frame rails and then added similar thickness steel to cover the tank bottoms, well then getting side swiped might not be such a worry. Although, I'd pity you if you ever had to remove the tanks.

There has to be some sort of middle ground in there some where.
:confused: ...

:D
Cheers!