PDA

View Full Version : IIa Wiring Harness MOD vs. Civilian

parrie
08-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I've been looking at a NOS military surplus IIa wiring harness but not sure if the MOD harness is compatible w/ a civilian truck. Does anyone have any info, thoughts?

Les Parker
08-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Hello there,

There are several differences on the wiring.

The light/ ignition switch are unique to the MOD lights, also the MOD has a couple of relays for the brake lights and also the main lights.
There are some more differences, such as the connectors (allegedly waterproof). I'm sure others will chime in with other observations

parrie
08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Sounds like I should steer clear of the MOD harness for my civilian truck...thanks for saving me some heartburn Les!

I Leak Oil
08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
One of the two things I wish I did differently when I did my frame over several years ago is making my own harness instead of replacing it with a stock rover harness. I haven't had any issues but I can't help but feeling it's only a matter of time. I know it could have been a far better alternative.
Just a suggestion.

ArlowCT
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
One of the best upgraded I have done was scraping the factor wiring. I installed a new harness from kwik wire. All wires labeled every 6", normal fuses, and lots of them! Plus I did not run wires through the frame, I kept them all high, dry, and easy to get to.

Good luck!

parrie
08-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info Arlow. Planning to do a frame-off rebuild and was thinking along your lines...I've come this far, might as well look at replacing the 50yr old harness. I'll check them out.

parrie
08-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the input leakoil. I have to ask...what is the "other" thing you would have done differently?

I Leak Oil
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the input leakoil. I have to ask...what is the "other" thing you would have done differently?

Galvanize every bit of steel body part there is....

parrie
08-24-2012, 10:47 AM
aaaaaaah, words of wisdom. Just purchased a new galvy frame, guess that's a start!