PDA

View Full Version : 110 Manifolds on a 2.25 petrol???

parrie
08-24-2012, 10:53 AM
I see a guy on ebay selling a 110 intake (webber) and exhaust manifolds as a performance upgrade for the 2.25 petrol engine. Guy states that the 2" larger 2" exhaust outlet allows the motor breath better which makes sense but I've never heard of this adaptation before. Has anyone had any experience?

ArlowCT
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Every time I have tried to "free" up the exhaust all I got was much less low end power. It you build a motor for it (cam, port, polish, and so on) it may work better. On the stock power plant I just have had no luck. I would be interested if anyone has?

parrie
08-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Had no plans to build the motor. Was thinking it would be an inexpensive boost of power if it actually worked but from your experience it doesn't sound like a worth while endevor.

ArlowCT
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
I checked out the eBay listing, this setup has been run by many people I know with very little success. I too have tried it and now it sits under the work bench collecting dust. The truck never ran smoothly with it. Too rich, too lean, poor idle, it just always needed some sort of adjustment. Plus it was a fuel hog.

I know some people don't care for them but I love my single barrel weber from our hosts. Very simple to rebuild and gives me great power and fuel economy.

msggunny
08-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Is it the 32/36 DGV carb or the one that LR put on their 4cyl coilers for the 2.5? If it is I think its a 32/32??? Anyways, its supposed to run better than the DGV. Check Teri Ann's site, she has some good info on it.

32/36 isnt the best choice but it works...

TeriAnn
08-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Intake:

The intake manifold & stock Weber from a 2.5L petrol will fit and work on a 2.25L, but you really want a 2.5L cam, 8:1 or 9:1 head and reasonably fresh 2.25 to work with the carb. It can easily be a little much for a tired stock engine. Esp if it has the 7:1 head on it.

The problem with the aftermarket Pierce manifold set up is that the carb is too big for the engine. It is bigger than the NLA 2 barrel Weber that came with the stock 2.5L. Some people have gotten it to work with a 2.25 engine but it would be easier to put a B series Rochester on one.

Exhaust:

I have found that the engine likes to have one size larger dia exhaust system tubing. Especially if you build the engine for performance. I tried a 4 tube header once and never noticed any difference at all.

My advise is if you have a stock 2.25L engine, esp. if it has a 7:1 head don't bother adding higher performance intake or exhaust unless you are willing to rebuild the engine. Then you want to start with a 2.5L cam, a 8:1 head milled to 9:1 or a 9:1 ACR head then you can start thinking about adding performance externals. Otherwise it may cause more trouble than it is worth and might not quite work right on a well used stock engine.

parrie
08-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks Teriann & Gunny. Not exactly sure which carb it was set up for. I do have the 8:1 head but really had no intensions of doing a rebuild or cam swap but that's great info I'll take note of for future reference. Thanks again