PDA

View Full Version : Transmission issues

Alk-3
08-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Hey Guys. I'm getting a but of a rattle or intermittent grinding sound from the transmission when the clutch pedal is all the way up.
a few weeks ago I had a strange problem, my gear shifter broke off for some reason, so while I waited for a new one to arrive, I just welded the old one back together, and kept driving. after a while, (several hours driving) I was stopped at a stop sign, then all of the sudden there was a terrible grinding boise and the truck lurched forward, and pressing the clutch in did nothing to stop it, I had to switch off the motor to stop the truck from bucking and grinding forward. I did this a few times, then when I pulled the top oil plug on the tranny it let out a fair bit of oil. not sure if that related or not.. anyway, I got it back home safely, and swapped out the shifter for the new one, and made sure everything was in good shape around the base of the shifter ( I thought maybe the heat from welding the shifter might have caused some problem).

after the shifter swap I've had no trouble, till today.
I noticed this slight catching/grinding sound when the clutch was out, or nearly all the way out.. it sounds like something catching in the clutch area, but then when I crawled under the truck, it sounds more like it's coming from the transmission. I drained the oil, and there were no teeth or big metal bits, but there was a lot of filings, very very fine like powder, but quite a bit of it I think. It's been a while since I changed the oil, but this seems excessive. I ran a magnet through it to make sure it's steel, which it is, or at least most of it is.
so my questions are:
1 - Any thought on what this might be?
2 - Where can I get a transmission (series 2a) I'm looking for a rebuilt one, from a solid reputable source. Price is secondary to quality and reputation, but budget is of course a concern

Jim-ME
08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
If you are looking for a rebuilt transmission I'd look to our hosts.
Jim

Alk-3
08-24-2012, 05:56 PM
I did check rovers north, as it's always my first stop, but didnt see transmissions listed. I will look again.
In other news, I drove the truck for about 3.5 hrs at about 100kph without issue. I plan to drain the oil again tomorrow and see if there is metal powder in it.

Partsman
08-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Did you weld the shifter while it was still attached to the transmission? I've heard of issues where parts of the transmission have fused when someone welds on it.

Alk-3
08-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes I did, but I welded the shifter with the ground placed higher on the shift handle, so no load would be trying to conduct thought the internal parts specifically.

Partsman
08-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Well that rules that out, it was a thought.

1961 109 WAGON
08-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I live in northern va. I have two good used units for sale if you can't find an affordable one. There already on land rover metal shipping pallets.