PDA

View Full Version : 1992 RangeRover Check Engine Light

lemontin
08-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Ok, I need some help here because this is completely out of my league..

1992 Range Rover, 112,000 miles. I've owned it for about 6 years and since it had 80,000 miles.
Lat year, I had a major head gasket blow out externally. No sleeve slipping issues and it was fixed.
While the head gasket was being fixed and since they were there, I had the water pump and timing chain
and cover replaced too.

I got Rover back and everything was fine, until the 'Check Engine" light came on a few hundred
miles later. It seemed ok at first but then at highway speeds it started losing power and sputtering. I got it
back to the shop and we're now deciding what to do because no one can read the fault code.

No one locally seems to have a reader to check what the "Check Engine" light could mean. The unit
under the passenger seat was replaced with an older unit (before I bought it) and it does not have
the readout LCD.

I was leaning towards thinking it might be the O2 sensors, the mechanic doesn't think that's the issue but
doesn't have a lot to offer in the way of knowing what it could be either.

My goal here is to get it fixed by replacing what the most obvious cause might be. I don't want to
throw a ton of money and still have it not work. So I thought I'd ask those who might know. Which hopefully is you.

Advice and knowledge needed and very much appreciated.

3.9 Gems engine..

Thanks for any guidance..
Tim
Holland, Michigan

Recent things:
New fuel pump, 1 year ago.
New power steering pump, one year ago
New shocks, one year ago

charo63
09-22-2012, 08:22 PM
My 1991 was doing the exact same thing. I replaced the O2 sensors and distributor at the same time on the advice of my mechanic. Runs great now and no Check Engine light! And I only spent $200 for all the parts (used). Hopefully they'll last a while as those O2 sensors are $150 each for new ones.

phoenix
09-23-2012, 10:32 AM
see if this link is of any assistance to your needs "http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Rover-14CUX-EFI.htm"