PDA

View Full Version : steering box drop arm

siii8873
08-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I screwed up assembling my steering components. I installed the steering box drop arm rotated to far toward the bulkhead (poor memory). I now need to remove it and of course I tightened it up. Its a 69 LHD so there is minimal room between the end of the rocker shaft and exhaust manifold. Any time I've had to do this in the past I had the box out and could use a puller. Any suggestions?

stonefox
08-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Bob ,
I've used a brass drift about a ft long and about 1'' in diameter.It just fits down in there on one of the "'ears"" on the drop arm.You really have to hit. I've had it go both ways, it may pop off or you may have to remove the whole assembly again.
Good luck

siii8873
08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
I got it off with a little more pursuation. What I learned about assembling the steering components again. I have done this twice before you would think I would have remembered.
- Set up the upper and lower steering relay lever at 81 deg. This works out to one spline from perpendicular ( 40 splines).
- Set the drag link at the length dimension in the book and install it from lower relay arm to right wheel (LHD) outer hole
- Set the track rod to the length and install from left to right wheel.
- Set lower relay lever straight ahead, wheels should now also be straight ahead and nearly parallel.
- Find the center of the steering box travel. Turn wheel from one side to the other, split the difference.
- Set the steering tube length and install the steering tube to the relay upper level
- Install the drop arm to the steering tube loosly
- Lightly install the drop arm on to the steering box rockershaft (don't tighten yet)
- Remove the steering tube and check the full travel of the drop arm. If good reconnect
If it inerferes with the gas pedal bracket shorten the tube

Somehow I had it in my head that the drop arm was installed vertical with the box in the center location. This set up would not allow full travel of the drop arm it interfered with the gas pedal bracket. Of course I tightened it right up so it was a PITA to get off.