X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjones1700
    Low Range
    • Jul 2012

Gas Gauge Not Working

I hope that this is my last technical question. My gas gauge was working except sluggish (never reaching F even when very full and seeming to bottom out at 1/4 tank and never getting to E). So, during my major restoration I took the tank off, had it sand blasted and powder coated. I replaced the sending unit. The wire lead is securely attached to the sending unit, but the gauge is not responding even to a full tank. The rest of the gauges are fine.

Now I have one theory and see if this makes sense. With one lead wire running to the gauge that implies the tank must need to be grounded. Is it possible that the powder coating (plastic non-conductor I would assume) is insulating the tank (plus the rubber washers at the four holding bolts) so it is not getting grounded? Before I blow things up, I wanted to ask if it would it be reasonable to run a ground line to a bare metal spot on the tank to see if that corrects it? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mjones1700; 08-28-2012, 11:59 AM.
  • LaneRover
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

My '66 88 has a ground wire running from one of the screws that holds the sender in place to the seat box. To the frame would probably be better. But I think a ground would be a great place to start.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• artpeck
      3rd Gear
      • Dec 2009

I had the same issue that you are experiencing and ran a ground to the seat box and it works great. Try that first.
      1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
      1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
      1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Comment

• siii8873
        Overdrive
        • Jul 2007

could also be the voltage stabilizer
        THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
        THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
        THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
        THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
        THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
        THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• Partsman
          3rd Gear
          • May 2011

Mine has a ground from one of the screws on the sending unit to the chassis.

Series 2 Club Forum

Andy The Landy Shop

Comment

• mjones1700
            Low Range
            • Jul 2012

Thanks. I will try the ground to the sending unit screw.

Comment

• mjones1700
              Low Range
              • Jul 2012

Crap. Created a wonderful ground from the sending unit to the frame. Didn't work. Now I have to start this long process of trouble shooting.

Comment

• derekchace
                4th Gear
                • May 2008

Ive owned 4 series and not one has ever had a working fuel gauge. I would ever trust a series gauge. I just go with the extra 5gal Jerry can method.
                GMR Imports
                802-655-4874
                802-324-3370
                gmr4x4.com

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                  Overdrive
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by derekchace
                  Ive owned 4 series and not one has ever had a working fuel gauge. I would ever trust a series gauge. I just go with the extra 5gal Jerry can method.
                  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that none of your rovers had diesel engines...
                  --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                  (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• artpeck
                    3rd Gear
                    • Dec 2009

Assume you have made sure it is a good ground. Also does your send have one or two places to attach the wire as my replacement had two one of which is the warning light I believe if I recall correctly. Working back from that it could be the voltage regulator which is the next place in the circuit as well as the connection to the gauge itself.
                    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
                    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
                    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Comment

• jcutler
                      Low Range
                      • May 2010

had this problem with my MGB. I'm willing to bet a beer it's the voltage stabilizer.
                      Joel
                      '59 SII 88"
                      '06 MCS
                      '67 TR4A-IRS
                      '71 BMW R75/5
                      TR3A, E-Type, etc, etc...it's a disease

Comment

• mjones1700
                        Low Range
                        • Jul 2012

I've checked and rechecked the connections to the gauge (inside the dash) and they seem fine.

Dumb question but I can't remember where the regulator is located. Inside the dash? On the firewall in the engine comp? Do you simply replace it? I see that our host no longer carries them so what do I replace it with?

I'm going to take the sending unit out and mess with it and try to directly wire it to the gauge and start from there.

I'm about to the Jerry can position.

BTW, my favorite is Alaskan Amber.

Comment

• derekchace
                          4th Gear
                          • May 2008

I've owned a bunch of Diesel defender all there gauges worked. All my series where petrol non of them worked.
                          GMR Imports
                          802-655-4874
                          802-324-3370
                          gmr4x4.com

Comment

• Broadstone
                            2nd Gear
                            • Jan 2009

Whenever I have an electrical fault I always run a wire from the neg. terminal on the battery to whatever I need to test. I feel this is a known good ground and cuts to the chase and avoids wasting some time. Remove the sending unit, ground the sending unit cover and hook up the wire then move the arm and see if you get readings. The wires inside the sending unit which read resistance are very fragile and can break causing the gauge to not work, I had that problem. Hope you figure it out.
                            1973 NADA 88

Comment

• siiirhd88
                              3rd Gear
                              • Oct 2006

Early trucks don't have an instrument voltage stabilizer, but anything after 1965 or so, and all of the negative ground trucks should have one. The voltage stabilzer supplies a nominal 10 volts to the fuel gauge and electric temp gauge, but the actual voltage varies greatly at an average of 10 volts. The voltage stabilizer is normally mounted to the rear side of the speedometer or dual gauge, or is mounted to the bulkhead behind the gauge panel. The gauge circuit usually has a dark green wire (fused power with the ignition switch 'on') supplying 12 volts to the voltage stabilizer. The output from the satbilizer is a light green or light green with dark green tracer wire that supplies both the fuel gauge and the electric temp gauge. The other gauge terminal goes to the sender, which will be a dark green and black tracer wire to the fuel sender and a light green with brown tracer or dark green with brown tracer wire to the temp sender. The sender's function is to vary the resistance to ground to change the gauge reading, with a really good ground for a full tank or high coolant temp. If the problem is the sender or a poor sender ground, removing the wire from the sender and holding the wire end to a known good ground should peg the gauge upscale. If the gauge does not respond, you need to check the power to the stabilizer, to the gauge, and from the gauge to the sender. If the gauge pegs upscale, the problem could be a bad sender or poor sender or tank ground.

Bob

'02 DII SE7 Kalahari
                              '02 DII SD
                              '97 RR Vitesse
                              '80 SIII 109
                              '75 SIII 88 V8
                              '68 SIIA 109 V8

Comment

Working...