PDA

View Full Version : Dual Master Cylinder Installation - Advice needed

TedW
08-28-2012, 07:38 AM
I am about to install a new dual brake master cylinder - never done it before - does anyone have installation tips to share?

Are there any tricks involved in bleeding it for the first time?

Thanks in advance for all replies.......

Ted

TeriAnn
08-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Are you just replacing an existing dual brake cylinder with another one designed for the same application or are you upgrading from an earlier single circuit brake system to a dual brake system??

TedW
08-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Are you just replacing an existing dual brake cylinder with another one designed for the same application or are you upgrading from an earlier single circuit brake system to a dual brake system??

Hi Teriann:

I am replacing the existing dual brake cylinder unit.

Ted

stomper
08-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Bench bleed the master cylinder, use the little plastic caps that came with the new master cylinder to keep from dripping brake fluid everywhere. Pretty simple remove and replace procedure, just a little tight to work in there. Might want to lube the pedal tower pivot point while you have it all apart.

TedW
08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Bench bleed the master cylinder, use the little plastic caps that came with the new master cylinder to keep from dripping brake fluid everywhere. Pretty simple remove and replace procedure, just a little tight to work in there. Might want to lube the pedal tower pivot point while you have it all apart.

Bench bleed? Please explain. I want to do it right.

mearstrae
08-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Bench bleeding really isn't too complicated. To bench bleed the master, before install, you at least partly fill master (1/2 way is good) and pump with a rod (or screw driver) placed where the actuating rod goes. I put short brake lines (some cylinders come with plastic hoses and fittings) that curve up into the cylinder and pump until all the air is out, discard the fluid (it will have air in it) and install and then refill.
Some do this proceedure after install, but before the actual brake lines are hooked up (sometimes it's easier) then use a turkey baster (or similar) and suck out the fluid used to bench bleed and dump it. Oh, and use at least DOT 4 brake fluid in the system.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

TedW
08-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Great - thanks to everyone for your responses!

Ted

thixon
08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
If you'd lilke to forgo bench bleeding altogether, then invest/make a pressurized bleeder.

TedW
08-29-2012, 01:40 PM
If you'd lilke to forgo bench bleeding altogether, then invest/make a pressurized bleeder.

I've thought about that.............I may appeal to Santa for one this year.........