PDA

View Full Version : Weird smell and steam.

Erik M.
08-31-2012, 08:34 AM
About three months ago, I had a fuel pump failure that led to the usual "more than just that" part of Series ownership. After replacing the pump, the battery was flat. After installing new battery (it was time anyway - overnight on the charger proved the old one was knackered) I determined that the alt had also given up the ghost. After sending the alt to the bench to be rebuilt, the starter packed up. After the starter was replaced, I was back on the road...until the intermediate exhaust pipe broke at the hanger. No biggie, just replaced everything from the manifold back. The price for 12 years of previously uneventful ownership.:thumb-up:

Well, I drove the truck for a short jaunt around the block, and noticed a 'hot' smell somewhere between an electrical or coolant aroma. When I got back to the house and lifted the hood, there was what appeared to be steam coming from the area around the downpipe / manifold joint. Checked the joint there and down the system and everything seems to be tight. Checked coolant and its fine and no brown. Checked oil, and though it needs a change, no milk. :sly: All of the battery/alt/starter connections seem solid as well.

So today I drove it for slightly longer than the other day, and while the smell was there, the steam wasn't.

So I'm kind of stumped. Maybe some grease or oil on the new exhaust burning off?

Cheers,

Erik

parrie
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Was it steam or smoke you saw at the exhaust connection? Smoke would make sense, steam would be a very bad sign. I recently purchased an OEM NOS exhaust and it has a coat of paint head to toe. If there are no ther signs of melted wires or coolant leaks my guess is you have some paint and possibly as you say, oil or gease residue from the installation that is burning off. The connection at the manifold would be the hottest area and has most likley completly burned-off. The further back you go the cooler it gets so it may take a few trips to get all the stuff burned-off.

Erik M.
08-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Parrie,

It was really thin and wispy, and dissipated quickly, so that's what made me think steam more than smoke.

artpeck
08-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I replaced the exhaust manifold recently on the Series III as well as the muffler. I had a very similar situation in back and under the hood. Both components came with the remnants of some amount surface oil/grease erc and the smoke and smell were it burning off. Hopefully that is your situation also.

parrie
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey Erik, most likely it's just some residue burning-off. If your new exhaust did not come painted than it most likely has oil residue and mill scale from the factory either of which can withstand the heat. May take a few trips to get rid of the smell but it should go away fairly quickly. Keep a close eye (nose) on it, the smell should disapate once all the residues have burned-off. Good Luck!

Erik M.
08-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks to all. Hopefully that's the issue. If not, I'll be back.

E