PDA

View Full Version : Series 2A Transmission issue

ep7360
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Yesterday, while driving home with my '69 S2A SWB, I stoped at a traffic light and when I began to take off in first gear, my transmission/transfer case started to growl(with the clutch out) and I was unable to engage first gear.I played with all the levers thinging it might have jumped out of gear and even engaged 4WD but, I ended up pushing the rig out of the intersection to the nearest parking lot. I thought I had lost my Fairy OD so, I removed it and installed the old gear and end plate on the transmission only to find that the rover would still not move in forward or reverse gear.I ended up having to call a tow truck and brought it home. I removed the lower cover from the transfer case but saw nothing wrong. I started up the rover and put it into 2nd gear and it moved forward. Could I have lost first gear and reverse? I have not had any prior issues with the trans or tansfercase. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.

parrie
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey EP, I see that no one has responded to your problem...rather strange. I'm fairly new to the Series world and by no means an expert but it does indeed sound as though you have lost 1st & reverse. I could be wrong but I don't beleive the transfer case is going to give you any indication of a lost gear in the transmission. If it is not going into 1st or reverse but goes into 2nd without issue than I would say something has gone bad in the tranny. First step would be drain the fluid and look for chunks of metal.

Almost forgot to mention...it seems as though someone has posted this issue before and if my memory serves me correctly 1st and reverse are somehow connected which would explain some of your problem. If someone doesn't reply with more educated/experienced guesses than myself put the google to it

Myron
09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I feel for you, brother. How humiliating pushing it out of an intersection. Any Toyota owners stop to help (or LR4 owners, for that matter)?

More to the point, are you sure you aren't suffering clutch failure?

Myron

SafeAirOne
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Bad news, brother. Read this and see if it sounds like you (it's a link, so just click on it below) :

http://www.landroveraddict.com/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=77803&boardID=12

1961 109 WAGON
09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I know you are along way away. I have to 2a trans/transfers for sale for $500 each. One pending sale this weekend. One out of 1958 109 another from a 1966 88 with 40,000 miles. I have pics if you would like to see them.