PDA

View Full Version : TLC axle width question

LRover74
09-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I am trying to determing the look of the final product if a fj 60 is placed under a series 3.A lot is available about FJ 60 in series,however, still not sure of the look in a series.What is the stick out beyond the fender. The series 3 is 64 inches fender to fender. If the Fj 60 axle is 60 inches WMS to WMS and the wheel used is 7inches wide with a back space of 3.5 inches, will the overrall width of the axle with the tires be 67 inches? In which case there will be a 1.5 inches stick out outside the fender. If anyone done this,please post picture or comment on calculation. Bottom line,I do not want too large stick out.

roverjohn
09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
60 axles are wide and your calculation seems correct. If you don't want a lot of tire sticking out, you could go with the 40/55 series axles which are a little narrower. I believe they are 57" WMS to WMS.

Another way to avoid the tires from sticking out is to go with more backspacing on the rim when you go 60 axles. If you go with a 4.5" backspaced 16" rim, you can bring the tires in 1" on each side. I have done this on a couple of 40 series Cruisers and it looks nice.

Hope that helps.