PDA

View Full Version : Birmabright and Bondo?

ocsddep
09-03-2012, 08:54 PM
I have a small dent in my front fender and I am wondering if I can just use some Bondo to cover it up. Will it stick to the Birmabright? Should I consider taking it to a specialty weld shop?

killahaas
09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
i would bang out as much as you can with with a hammer and dolly and than sand it good. bondo doesnt like stick to any paint. so you would have an issue with the outer layer sticking.

thixon
09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Those are pretty easy to fix.
Tho answer your question, yes you can use body filler on aluminum. However, in this case, its not necessary to go that route. Those dents can be hammered out easily. The larger of the two looks like it has a crack in the center of it where the metal has fatigued (I think, its hard to see on my screen). If so, it can be welded up, and the weld can be dressed down afterward. Any welding shop will be able to handle it.

Alternatively and depending on the body shop, you may find one that has someone there that can weld aluminum and also is willing/able to hammer out the dents. Are you planning on painting afterward? If not, why not just leave it alone?

Skeeball
09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Carefully tap it out...3m makes a bondo that will work I fixed a couple gouges and had no issues at all. Body shops have it..it's the only bondo that comes in a small tin ( like a catfood tin size ) Costs around $ 10 if yo uneed the exact name send me a pm and i will give you the name. Its over at the place where I am painting the rover..

Or you could just think of those as charachter dents/ badges of honor and leave 'em alone thats what I would do

Steve

ocsddep
09-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Thinking about painting but truly debating it. I want to keep the truck as original as possible and not have to worry about every scratch if I take it off road. There is small hole in the larger dent, so I will have to get it welded. I will check with a body shop and see if they can tap it out. I tried a bit, but I don't have the right tools.

ocsddep
09-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Those are pretty easy to fix.
Tho answer your question, yes you can use body filler on aluminum. However, in this case, its not necessary to go that route. Those dents can be hammered out easily. The larger of the two looks like it has a crack in the center of it where the metal has fatigued (I think, its hard to see on my screen). If so, it can be welded up, and the weld can be dressed down afterward. Any welding shop will be able to handle it.

Alternatively and depending on the body shop, you may find one that has someone there that can weld aluminum and also is willing/able to hammer out the dents. Are you planning on painting afterward? If not, why not just leave it alone?

Thanks for the tip. I will try it out. There is a specialty weld shop next to my house. I may pay them a visit soon.