PDA

View Full Version : Interchanging tie rod ends

ArlowCT
09-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I have a ser III and have the tie rod ends with out the shoulder on them. Is there any reason I can't use the older style with the shoulder? I have some so it would just be handy if I could use them.

Thanks

o2batsea
09-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Nobody has answered because they'd all tell you exactly what you already know.

ArlowCT
09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
I guess that means pulling the truck off the road, busting the tie rod ends loose and seeing if the ones I have fit or not. I was just trying to avoid some down time with my truck if I have it all pulled apart and they don't fit.

Thanks

Andrew IIA
09-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I believe that they are not interchangeable :(

ignotus
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh, you can screw them in and they fit but the issue is the clamp pressure is located differently if you put the wrong TRE in the TR. Eventualy they wiggle loose and you fall down go bang! Use the correct TRE's, sell the ones you can't use on a forum.

be safe,
gene

ArlowCT
09-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I got the new (from our hosts) tie rod ends in yesterday. Hen I pulled the old ones from the truck last night I found.... Two new style ends on one bar and two old style on the other.... Plus the threads inside the track rod were badly rusted. I will be replacing it and installing all new style tie rod ends on both rods. For future reference they are not compatible in the long run but I do think they would get you through in an emergency situation.