PDA

View Full Version : Locking hubs, or lack of same

rof
09-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Hello all,
I am looking for locking hubs for my 82 S3. I tried Superwinch and Warn, but nada.
Anybody know who is selling/making them these days?
Also thoughts on mounting them on the rear axle for using a tow dolly. Figured it was better for the running gear to simply disconnect the wheels from everything else.
Planning on towing down to VA Beach on friday.(about 1 1/2 hours tow) I will do the Rover approved thing and put transfer case and transmission on neutral for that trip, but would like to get the hubs for future use.

Thanks,
Wayne

yorker
09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
These are a source of never ending debate because the top railco bushings are splash lubricated, so by using lockout hubs you deprive them of constant lubrication. Another issue is somewhere ~'82 the front end's axle shafts changed from 10 spline to 24 spline on the outside and you need to know which you have.

ArlowCT
09-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Sounds like you should be fine with the front end if you are using a tow dolly, only the rears should be on the ground. I see about 8-10 sets on ebay including brand new sets of 10 and 24 spline hubs.

Does anyone have numbers on how much better fuel economy they get with hubs unlocked? When I scraped my front locking hubs and switched to drive flanges I saw no noticeable change in MPG. But, I do like the added safety factor when towing of having the rear hubs unlocked.

o2batsea
09-06-2012, 06:12 AM
You actually don't need to do anything. You're totally good. If you're really really set on FWH for the rear I have a set of MAP hubs you can have for shipping. I took them off about 14 years ago and they have just been parked on a shelf since then.

east high
09-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Freewheel hubs in the rear? :confused: Never heard of such a thing.

yorker
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
It has been done on some vehicles for flat towing. I seem to remember Willys guys doing it here and there.

rof
09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone,
I checked and I have the 24 spline hubs.
I am new to series vehicles but have been messing with cars most of my life. I believe the railco bushings are on the front only, so that shouldn't be an issue.
o2batsea, are the hubs you have 24 or 10 spline?
The reason I am thinking of doing this is that a mechanic friend of mine told me that on some transmissions/transfer cases the drive from the rear driveshaft is located at the top of the box and relies on splash to be lubricated. His concern was that it would be spinning dry for the entire time it was being towed. My thought was to simply isolate the rear wheels from the rest of the system without me having to drop the driveshaft every time I towed. However, that being said, it may be that on series trucks the extra wear and tear on the drivetrain just isn't an issue.
I do woodworking and travel around doing art shows, wine festivals, and that sort of thing. I have a truck camper that I stay in when doing the shows and because of the overhang in the rear, can't use a car trailer. Thus the reason for going with a tow dolly. I can use a hitch extension to get it clear of the camper and the tongue weight is within limits. By towing my series along with me, I will be able to park the truck camper and use the Rover for getting around and such. Makes life a lot simpler when at the event, but adds some hassle getting there.
So, there you go. The rhyme to my reasoning perhaps, or perhaps completely off base?

jac04
09-06-2012, 01:46 PM
The 24-spline Superwinch hubs are p/n 400406. I bought mine at Jegs a few years back, but they don't list them any more. Try contacting Superwinch directly, they may have some on the shelf.

Mile Marker also has 24-spline hubs, p/n 432. A quick Google search shows several sources for them.

RTC8163 is the Rover p/n for the hubs. I believe that British Pacific had some in stock back when I was shopping for them.

o2batsea
09-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Your mechanic friend is partially right but not about Land Rovers. You may tow to your heart's content and not worry about effin up the transfer case or transmission. You do not need freewheel hubs on either axle for any towing operations. K?. Do what it says to do and have no fear. Just be sure all the levels are topped up, and check that the drain plugs, and the wheel nuts, are tight.

To reassure you the British military has been towing Land Rovers this way since the beginning of the breed.

rof
09-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks,
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any damage. Have decided not to take the Rover this weekend, but will tow it next week up to a shop to have a series guy check it over. I have changed all the fluids under the truck. Most of them looked good, but some of them looked like they had not been changed recently. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have someone familiar with series taking a look at everything. Next will be trying to get the engine tuned up and hopefully producing just a tad more power.
Must admit that the more I drive it, the better it is doing. Now it will do 55 in OD whereas before it didn't like going that fast. I think this truck just sat too long in the PO garage.
Thanks again,
Wayne