PDA

View Full Version : Window Channels

ocsddep
09-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I just ran across an old catalogue from a company called Restoration Specialties and they are based in Windber, PA. They carry a lot of rubber parts and I have used them in the past for my old 88. I noticed they also sell a lot of window channels and since mine are worn, I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced theirs. Easy? Tough? Does anyone know the size (width) of them? Are the same on the doors as the rear? Any insight is appreciated.

Ray

Alaskan Rover
09-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I should note that our gracious hosts here also sell window channels.

But I hear you can also install marine window channels made for ski boats and such...and I believe they're stainless steel as well. A significant improvevement over the originals.

Mine, like most, have become miniture terrariums of moss and lichen.

Boat supply companies sell the channels in various widths...you buy them by the foot.

Jim-ME
09-07-2012, 03:20 AM
You can also buy a kit from Rocky Mountain.
Jim

cedryck
09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I bought mine from our hosts, all the little screws and such, nice install great results, rocky mountain I understand are more weather resistant though.

TeriAnn
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
I have a how-to web page for replacing window channels (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRsideWindow.htm). It only covers the rear side sliding windows but provides enough info for you to figure out how to do the rest.

smukai
09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Not a hard job, by any means.

It can be frustrating and a knuckle-banger at worst.

I've done all my window tracks with the exception of the rears. And I need to do the rears. Parts are at home, screws are at home, time is...hard to find.

All parts purchased from our host.

1971Series88
09-12-2012, 08:40 AM
easy job - I just did all four doors....bought the parts from our gracious hosts! There is also a window channel piece that goes under the channels - if you are "doing it right" that can be purchased from our hosts as well.

Just check out the RN website - it has a great schematic for what you need. Just be sure to not drill out the screw holes to wide for the screws. They MUST go in very tight to ensure they go in under the felt, so as not to have the glass hit when sliding to and fro'.