PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Series III SWB Footwell and Rollcage question

ianhunt
09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Couple of questions from a beginner here:

I know there is no insulation between engine and footwell, but the footwell gets incredibly hot, like the metal is too hot to touch. Does everyone experience this and is there a decent solution?

Also...

Has anyone had a internal roll bar made for a Series III that actually mounts to the frame? Something that will fit underneath the roof. Any details are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

mjones1700
09-07-2012, 10:46 AM

I know there is no insulation between engine and footwell, but the footwell gets incredibly hot, like the metal is too hot to touch. Does everyone experience this and is there a decent solution?

Also...

Has anyone had a internal roll bar made for a Series III that actually mounts to the frame? Something that will fit underneath the roof. Any details are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

I have a 73 III 109, so the situation my be different, but I've never had a hot footwell. I did recently replace the footwells due to rust and did add insulation on the outside for noise but not heat.

o2batsea
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Assuming 2.25L gas. There's supposed to be a heat shield (http://www.roversnorth.com/p-2122-heat-sheild-4-cyl-petrol-series-iia-iii.aspx), so if that's missing it would explain the hotfoot. Parts are here (http://www.roversnorth.com/c-38-manifolds.aspx).

Also...

Thanks,

Ian

Safety Devices makes one but you'll have to fab the tie ins to the chassis.

1961 109 WAGON
09-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Both of my gas series trucks floors get so hot after a half hours drive. No insulation just Exmore flooor mats. Even my shoes get hot.

ArlowCT
09-07-2012, 04:57 PM
My floor gets hot too, real hot. I have that heat shield and I think it may make the problem worse. I have seen some people build a small heat shield out of sheet metal and attach it to the down pipe. It goes between the down pipe and the footwell and takes the heat so the floor stays cooler. Other people have used exhaust header wrap to wrap the down pipe, I hear it works real well but traps moisture and rots the pipe if your truck sits a lot.

On long drives I open the drivers door and wedge my left foot in it to hold it open an inch or two. Works real well at drawing the hot air out!

Good luck!

east high
09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Hot footwell is pretty standard. I had that heat shield on the manifold, but removed it after I found a crack in my manifold. I think a heat shield mounted to the pipe would do more good.

crankin
09-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't know what you guys are doing wrong. Mine stays a constant 75 degrees in the summer.

ArlowCT
09-07-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't know what you guys are doing wrong. Mine stays a constant 75 degrees in the summer.

Do you have a right hand drive truck?

Driving around town in the summer is fine. But 4 hours into an 8 hour drive my little toe on my right foot is well done!

Rat Patrol
09-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I had a custom roll-bar built that mounts to the frame. Shoot me an email and I'll give you the details.
Chuck

ianhunt
09-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys - appreciate it.

Will look to see about the heat shield.

What about removing footwells and spraying with Rhino?

Is the Safety Devices part a Defender part, or specific to Series III?

Revtor
09-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Rhino will not block much heat. Hell, it might turn into a soft sticky mess at that temp. A downpipe heatshield, downpipe thermal wrap, or downpipe thermal coating prehaps..

Hey RatPatrol, post a pic of your rollcage if you can!!!

~Steve