PDA

View Full Version : New wiring to starter solenoid

GOE
05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
I am cmpleting a new wiring harness on my 67 Series IIa (neg earth)and have a question on the starter solenoid connections. The harness has a one large connector end and two smaller same sized ends. The solenoid (lucas) has three same sized prongs that do not exactly match the wiring diagram layout.

Perhaps a dumb question but can the prongs on the solenoid be viewed as interchangable or is there specific connection order required? Thanks in advance.

jp-
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
One wire, going to the solenoid, comes from the ignition switch (to start the vehicle).

One is a hot wire connection (on all the time). You can use this to hook up an accessory or to hook up things that might need constant power available. I have my horn hooked up generally, so that it has power even if the ignition is off.

The third (and largest connector) is also a hot wire connection. This large connector can be removed from the solenoid stud and put on the new solenoid. I think this wire goes to the ammeter or alternator, I don't recall.

The two prongs (studs I think you mean) are interchangeable. Just like a light switch, up doesn't have to be on (if you reverse the wires). The small wire connections are not interchangeable and one will usually be marked "S" or "I" (starter or ignition wire). The other may or may not be marked.