PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa choke switch

emmotto
09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I recently bought a choke switch for my 1969 S2a - I must admit I'm puzzled as to how it's used. I imagine it makes or breaks contact and this causes the light in the gauge cluster to come on and remind you that you are using the choke. It seems to snap onto choke cable itself and has a little plastic white nubbin type microswitch in the barrel part that clamps on the cable.

This would make the actuator (plastic nubbin) depressed into the body of the switch when snapped onto the cable and I assume that being depressed is either making or breaking electrical contact.

My question is how does this translate into activity either on or off when the choke cable is pulled? Since the switch is snapped on the casing of the cable - there's no way it can depress or undepress the nubbin as the cable is operated.

Am I missing something here?

I have a 1969 S2a with a Weber carb.

Thanks

Mike

Jim-ME
09-12-2012, 03:35 AM
There should be a series of holes in your choke cable housing just in front of the knob and before you get to the spiral wound sleeve the protects the actual cable. The choke switch snaps over the housing so the the white nub fits into one of the holes and the two black nubs in the clap area of the switch fit into their holes. The nub on the switch allows power flow when it is out and shuts off power flow when it is pushed in.
Jim

emmotto
09-12-2012, 06:28 AM
There should be a series of holes in your choke cable housing just in front of the knob and before you get to the spiral wound sleeve the protects the actual cable. The choke switch snaps over the housing so the the white nub fits into one of the holes and the two black nubs in the clap area of the switch fit into their holes. The nub on the switch allows power flow when it is out and shuts off power flow when it is pushed in.
Jim

!!! YES !!! - thankyou Jim - that makes sense! I was looking at the wrong end of the cable - out at the carburetor. Unfortunately I have a non standard choke cable installed, but I have the original and I will look to see if I can figure out how the switch fits on the housing and if I can resurrect the old cable.

Thanks again.

Mike