PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Series Guages help

myoverlandrover
09-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Admit up front I don't know enough about my problem so i'll do my best to explain but may ask many basic question.
Own a 67 88" with a 2.5 NA and trying to get everything working and ready to tackle the oil/water temp guage. Currently to the left of main guages in its own panel is a oil/water temp guage with oil on top and water below. Oil works ok but water temp has never worked. Currently water is hooked up through line to the top drivers side of the block in a fitting that just dips into coolent flow. I tried ordering factory 2.5 NA temp guage from UK and got what I assume is an electrical guage whereas I think what I have now is mechanical. Like to keep a factory land rover guage but if I have to i'll go aftermarket.

-Is the un-lit water/oil guage factory series?
-should it light up like my others?
-Is the original series guage mehanical?
-Is the original guage for the 2.5NA electrical?
-Is the stock 2.5 NA oil/water a combined guage that I can swap in?

I'm just sick of not knowing hows shes running and specialy after a new radiator install I really need to know

Thanks!
Josh

o2batsea
09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
These oil water gauges have a capillary tube for the oil and an ether filled bulb that fits into the water jacket. Usually the delicate hose for the water gauge breaks, rendering it useless.
If you google Nisonger you'll find out where to send it all for repair. Be ready for sticker shock!

SafeAirOne
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
-Is the un-lit water/oil guage factory series?
The dual gauge is genuine equipment AFAIK. Perhaps an option. Not sure if some were unlighted or not. They had lighted ones for sure though (links >>>>) http://jollyrogersmotors.com/node/18 and http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=2&pgCode=070&sgName=Hardware&pgName=Gauges&agCode=0607&agName=Smiths+Classic+52mm+Full+Scale&pCode=070.129
-Is the original series guage mehanical?
The dual gauge is pure mechanical. The rest of the gauges (that fit into the larger, speedo-size gauge holder are usually electrical, though they also made mechanical temp gauges for these also, but normally they are electrical.-Is the original guage for the 2.5NA electrical?
-Is the stock 2.5 NA oil/water a combined guage that I can swap in?
No. The stock 2.5NAD uses a variable-resistance type sender and goes through a voltage-stabilized gauge in the speedo-size gauge holder.

stomper
09-17-2012, 05:37 AM
The original ones were unlit. I just investigated this, as mine doesn't light up, and stone fox looked at 3 he had on a shelf and couldn't find lighting options for any of them. I hope this helps!

Jim-ME
09-18-2012, 02:50 AM
All of mine have had a provision for a light including my spare one marked Land Rover and the one in my first 65. Look for a "tube" at about 2 o'clock on the back. That is where you insert the bulb holder. I will post a picture of where my capillary tube is mounted into the rear of the head on my 2.5 sometime today. It was something that Matt Browne did and maybe he will remember what he used for an adapter. Because I use the dual gauge, the temp gauge in my gauge cluster is dead.
Jim

stomper
09-18-2012, 06:07 AM
I've got to pull my dual gauge out today to attach the oil pipe for the pressure side of the gauge. Jim, If you could snap a picture of the back of your spare gauge, I'd like to see what the bulb holder insert looks like so I can check mine. I will only have it "half exposed" so a picture would help me know what to look for.
James

SafeAirOne
09-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Jim, If you could snap a picture of the back of your spare gauge, I'd like to see what the bulb holder insert looks like so I can check mine. I will only have it "half exposed" so a picture would help me know what to look for.

James, you can see it in the picture in the first link I posted above ( http://jollyrogersmotors.com/node/18 ). There's a black rubber cap over the bulb holder in the pic.

Jim-ME
09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Here are the pictures that I was either asked for or I promised. The first is the bulb holder:
The next ones are where the capillary (temp sender) tube mounts in to the head

stomper
09-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Hmm, I don't think mine has that, but when I get it apart tonight, I will have to have a look see. Thanks Mark, I never open links when I am checking the forum via my iphone.

leafsprung
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Most of the early gauges do not have an internal bulb holder like the one pictured - they have an external one which holds the bulb outside of the gauge. The gauge has a window around the outside into which this light shines. It fits onto one of the studs which secures the gauge to the panel. They frequently go missing because they arent part of the assembly. I have extras if anyone needs them.

-Ike

stomper
09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info Ike! I will check mine to see if I am missing the external bulb holder next, and give you a call if I need!

myoverlandrover
09-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the help! I need to pull the gauge and start there. Find out if its lit or not and talk to Ike. Also need to figure out if its the gauge or the sensor thats bad as my placement and setup look just like Jims. I hate to even ask but where does the power come from in the harness for the light?

SafeAirOne
09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I hate to even ask but where does the power come from in the harness for the light?

Fed off the other instrument lights or the panel light switch.