PDA

View Full Version : Truck will not move or go in neutral

jjacumin
09-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I have a 1973 series III. I was sitting at a stop sign and tried to pull out today then encountered a problem. I didn't hear a clunk or pop, but I may have just missed it will all of the other noise. The truck will go into all gears but will not move. I have replaced a half shaft before so I don't think that's the issue and it will not move in 4 wheel drive either. When I tried to move forward it would bog down like I was trying to pull out a stump or chained to something immovable. When the tow truck got there, I could not get the truck to roll. It was out of gear, no E-brake, and I put the high-low range shifter in neutral. The truck would still not roll so it had to be towed on dollies. A friend looked at the driveshaft when I tried to move forward and it would try to turn but something was stopping it. The only guess I have right now is something is broken and jammed in the rear diff. Any ideas?

Thanks, Joe

parrie
09-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Try removing/disconnecting the rear propshaft, if the wheels don't spin you have some sort of rear diff problem. If the wheels spin then start w/ the transfer case. Have you checked the differential fluid?? Good luck.

SafeAirOne
09-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Based on your description, I'd agree that it is something in the rear axle. Pinion bearing, wheel bearing or worst case, something interfering with proper ring and pinion mesh.

If it was a half shaft, everything would spin but you wouldn't go anywhere. It sounds as if everything is free till after the rear drive shaft.

ArlowCT
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I had all the ring gear bolts brake pulling away from a stop sign once. The gear just spun on the carrier. It would have been easy for one of those bolt heads to get lodged in the spider gears and lock it all up before they all broke.

o2batsea
09-24-2012, 02:57 PM
busted layshaft?