PDA

View Full Version : it just stopped running

kevmcgowan
05-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I have a 95RR LWB that just stopped running the other day. I was on the highway going about 75mph and it felt like I hit intermitant head winds then the power just faded away and the speed with it. Which sucked because I was in the left lane. I was able to coast to the next off ramp and got it towed back home from there. Its done this before and have had other problems that always seem to be related to having the vehicle running at idle for more than 10 minutes. I would need to pull the spark plugs and the fuel injector fuse and clear everything out. Clean the plugs and it would run again. Not this time. There is a new coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, O2 sensors and y pipe. All the fuses are fine and no codes popped up this time. The motor turns over but doesnt fire and there is spark to the plugs. Guessing its a fuel pump but there was a new fuel pump installed a few years ago. Wouldnt a code appear if it wasnt getting fuel? Need help.

Ed*
05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
you can test the fuel pump
1) do you hear it turn on when you turn power on in the range?
2) undo the fuel at the engine and see if its is getting fuel there

singingcamel
05-25-2007, 03:00 PM
ED'd idea is where i would start, listen for the fuel pump to run. how many miles? fuel pumps seem to die around 100 k.
next thing it could be is the ignition module on the dizzy. you will have minimal spark to the plug when this happens.good luck!

LRBear
06-12-2007, 04:48 PM
HMMMMmmmmmm.....

Does sound like a fuel issue.:(

I'd have to guess that either you aren't getting fuel or something in one of the sensors is bugger'd.

MANY years ago...:popcorn: , I had a Ford Torino w a 351 in it that had a fuel pump go bad. I bought a new one from the local discount auto parts place, installed it, and the motor fired right up.
BUT after some heavy footin' the right pedal on the freeway it would suddenly lose power and die. So I had it towed home and pulled the pump.
Turns out the design of the cam-follower-arm on this cheap after-market pump (a mechanical drive unit) was not exactly the same shape as the one on the OEM unit, and this was causing the arm to hang-up in the up position (i.e. away from the cam) so no fuel was being pumped.:mad:
I replaced it w a new OEM unit and never had a problem again.:thumb-up:
Moral of this story: Don't buy cheap knock-off parts! Only buy OEM or Better!
2nd Moral: New parts can still be defective!

I would also suspect the OX-Sensor, but you mentioned that this one is new too....:confused:

Another thought... How old is the filter? Could it be clogged?:eek:

Final thought... Bad Gas? Might be worth draining the tank and putting in some fresh fuel. I've been bitten by bad gas (or contaminants or water) on more than one occasion...:rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK! & keep us posted on the results!:D

Cheers!

-Bear-
:cheers:

kevmcgowan
06-30-2007, 10:17 AM
thanks guys!

The fuel pump is working and the fuel filter is good also. There is no spark from the coil. Its a newer unit that maybe has 5000 miles on it. It has 12v power to it and continuity. When I check the coil when cranking it only reads about 3v. My next step is to replace it. A coil produces about 40,000 v. What if its only producing 20,000v. How can you really tell? Does anybody know how to test a coil and spark plugs for the proper voltage? :confused: