PDA

View Full Version : clutch/gearbox judder

emmotto
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
1969 Series IIa 88 w/ 2.25 petrol 4 banger and original non-synchro 2a gbox, Fairey overdrive.

When cold runs and shifts nice and smooth except for propensity to come out of 3rd gear on the over-run.

Clutch seems fine although you can certainly hear it when depressed and not moving in quiet surroundings.

When engine/gearbox is hot - especially after long high speed (hah!) run, the clutch has a tendency to "judder" on release in 1st gear or 2nd gear from a stop.

I always thought that was indicative of worn motor/gbox mounts? Yet why would it happen when engine hot and not when cold/warm?

Mounts don't look too bad from underneath - not perfect but not all cracked and hardened either..

Is it a difficult job to replace the mounts in situ? ie; jack up gbox to take the load and crawl underneath and replace? Any special alignment required?

Thoughts?

Mike

I Leak Oil
09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
You should check the mounts. Easy enough to do. Most likely you have either a worn clutch, it got overheated at some point or it's contaminated with engine or tranny oil. My guess it's a combination of wear and contamination.

RLTW06
05-31-2014, 08:37 PM
We're you ever able to get this issue resolved? I have the exact same problem.

bugeye88
05-31-2014, 10:59 PM
Yep, oil on the clutch. When it gets ho the oil on the clutch disk becomes more slippery and the "Judder" occurs as the oil is only here and there on the clutch plate. Couldn't hurt to check the engine/tranny mounts, but I'll bet it is clutch plate contamination by oils.
Rob
68 Bugeye

RLTW06
06-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Did you just pull it and clean/degrease it. Or was it contaminated to the point what you had to replace it? How long did it take to fix the problem?

jac04
06-01-2014, 11:46 AM
If you are going to pull it apart to the point where you can clean everything, you should just replace the clutch disc (and pressure plate unless it's almost new). This is also a good time to check the flywheel for damage or runout and have it machined if necessary. If working on a SIII, you can replace the throwout bearing & clutch fork wear parts as well.