PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues

sleam
09-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Not much of a problem but I find my S3 is difficult to start often, turning over but not catching. If I press the gas then it floods. But if I don't, then it sounds like it's not getting enough gas. Suggestions? There's a manual choke.

artpeck
09-29-2012, 02:46 PM
How does it idle and run? And which carb do you have. I just worked my way through them whole system so can possibly help but knowing a bit more would be good.

sleam
09-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I have a webber carb, oil type air filter, new fuel filters, 2.25 engine petrol. It turns over, sometimes sounds like I'm turning the ignition beyond the time I should, you know with that crunching sound, but it hadn't caught. I thought I'd sit there and try timing it, see when that sound happens and then try it a second less. I honestly don't know! Just trying to get to know this vehicle day by day.

jonnyc
09-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Not sure what your local weather is like, but perhaps you're using too much or too little choke? Is the choke adjusted correctly?

sleam
09-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Hello, it's a manual choke, about sixty degrees out today, I used a little choke this morning, no pressure on the gas pedal. It took two tries and then started. So I'm thinking to practice with the choke on an off today, starting it in the driveway, come back again later in the day. Get a feel for it.
I guess I was just writing in the forum in case there was some hidden technique! It's just trial and error, right?

gudjeon
09-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Almost all old english motors only need choke to start. A little bit of throttle will flood them silly.

jonnyc
09-30-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm in PA, near Philly. The last month or so, I pull the choke out about 1/4", pump the gas twice, and it starts right up.
Hope yours works well when you get the system down.

sleam
09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone - the choke seems to be the key to this then. I'll work with it and let you know!
sarah