• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emmotto
    Low Range
    • Sep 2012

drivetrain wear tolerances?

1969 SIIa 88

while working on the Landy over the weekend I noticed a little bit of wear in a couple places - wondering what the real effective tolerance is for these (Kentuck Windage):

front propshaft u-joint - small amount of slop in the u-joint itself in one axis - unscientifically I would call it maybe 1/16" to 1/8" inch when rotating the joint by hand whilst simultaneously keeping the propshaft from moving.

rear propshaft splines - small amount of slop in the splines with wheels on ground and braked and rotating prop-shaft by hand I can detect perhaps 1/32" to 1/16" slop in the rear - front prop-shaft has none.

rear diff - with one wheel jacked up and brake on etc, the brake drum can be rotated maybe 4" before taking up the slack in the ring gear - this happens on both wheels.

Just wondering if any of these should be attended to or do I leave then alone until they get massively worse - ie; "that's not wear! THIS is WEAR....!!!"

Mike
    Mike

1969 Series IIa 88 2.25 petrol
  • o2batsea
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by emmotto
    1969 SIIa 88

while working on the Landy over the weekend I noticed a little bit of wear in a couple places - wondering what the real effective tolerance is for these (Kentuck Windage):

front propshaft u-joint - small amount of slop in the u-joint itself in one axis - unscientifically I would call it maybe 1/16" to 1/8" inch when rotating the joint by hand whilst simultaneously keeping the propshaft from moving.
    Zero. That one is toast.

rear propshaft splines - small amount of slop in the splines with wheels on ground and braked and rotating prop-shaft by hand I can detect perhaps 1/32" to 1/16" slop in the rear - front prop-shaft has none.
    Rear propshaft also toast. Can go to a driveline shop and have a new spline section welded in for about a hundred bux. It's just a regular old Spicer driveshaft.

rear diff - with one wheel jacked up and brake on etc, the brake drum can be rotated maybe 4" before taking up the slack in the ring gear - this happens on both wheels.
    Normal slop.

Just wondering if any of these should be attended to or do I leave then alone until they get massively worse - ie; "that's not wear! THIS is WEAR....!!!"

Mike
    They're worn.

Comment

• emmotto
      Low Range
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by o2batsea
      Zero. That one is toast.

Rear propshaft also toast. Can go to a driveline shop and have a new spline section welded in for about a hundred bux. It's just a regular old Spicer driveshaft.

Normal slop.

They're worn.
      OK thanks!

That's what I needed to know.
      Mike

1969 Series IIa 88 2.25 petrol

Comment

Working...