PDA

View Full Version : Starter Ground Strap Mounting ?

tolonian
10-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I've got a starter ground strap to mount...only one question, where?
the lucas starter only has one pole for the juice from the solenoid so where do you guys mount the chassis ground strap to?
to the starter case screws? to the starter mounting bolts?

I'm a newbie, still figuring this truck out..

Thanks!

mearstrae
10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
One of the starter mounting bolts. I first put a coat of metalic anti-seize on the cable lugs and bolt to help with contact and obviously to prevent it from oxidizing.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

greenmeanie
10-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Add a second gound lead from anywhere on the engine down to the chassis. It is good insurance for starting and ignition performance.

4flattires
10-03-2012, 10:02 AM
The factory setup for your series would be a ground strap from battery to the frame, running straight down the side of the battery holder. You can feel the frame hole in between the frame and radiator mounting, but cant see it when you reach in from the grille side. The frame to engine block ground strap is as previously noted, off the starter mounting bolt running to the frame (approx 6") and was braided cable back then.

jac04
10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
A little off topic, but if you are looking for a ground strap or heavy-duty battery cables, terminals & rubber covers you need to check out Saturn Surplus: http://www.saturnsurplus.com/electrical/electrical.htm

I purchased all my cables, straps & terminals from these guys. Excellent military-spec quality and very low prices!