PDA

View Full Version : Starter stays engaged.

orangecrush4u
10-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I had the starter swapped and rebuilt and it stays engaged but when I turn it off it stops. I'm thinking it's in the key switch and not the starter. I think I might put in a push button and eliminate the key crank. Any Thoughts???

Les Parker
10-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Sounds like a bad ignition switch, probably a worn electrical part. Is it manual or auto?

# RNH583 Switch and harness. In stock. :)

orangecrush4u
10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Sounds like a bad ignition switch, probably a worn electrical part. Is it manual or auto?

# RNH583 Switch and harness. In stock. :)

its a 5 speed, so it sounds like the ignitions switch eh? are they difficult to swap out?

mearstrae
10-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Not too difficult to change out, pretty pricey part though. Hardest part is removing the clamping bolts, I had to use a sharp punch to coax mine out, after that just unplug the old, plug in the new, and rebolt it in place with new bolts. (They use pretty strange bolts for this, I don't know why...) Look for a 'RAVE' disc with the shop manuals on it, if you don't have a manual, it's a free download on the net.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

orangecrush4u
10-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Not too difficult to change out, pretty pricey part though. Hardest part is removing the clamping bolts, I had to use a sharp punch to coax mine out, after that just unplug the old, plug in the new, and rebolt it in place with new bolts. (They use pretty strange bolts for this, I don't know why...) Look for a 'RAVE' disc with the shop manuals on it, if you don't have a manual, it's a free download on the net.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S

Do ya think I should just put a starter push button in and be done with it??

mearstrae
10-10-2012, 08:21 PM
May be a cheaper way to go. I don't know if the small switch at the end of the complete ignition set-up is available by itself, it's probably all you'd need. On mine the key got jambed and I had to change the works, same symtoms; engage starter and it keeps cranking, the key mechanism wouldn't let the switch return to normal run.

All you'll need to do if you put on an external start button is deactivate the start wire at the steering column switch and run fresh wires.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S

orangecrush4u
10-11-2012, 05:32 AM
May be a cheaper way to go. I don't know if the small switch at the end of the complete ignition set-up is available by itself, it's probably all you'd need. On mine the key got jambed and I had to change the works, same symtoms; engage starter and it keeps cranking, the key mechanism wouldn't let the switch return to normal run.

All you'll need to do if you put on an external start button is deactivate the start wire at the steering column switch and run fresh wires.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S

ok thanks, going to order up a starter switch this week.