PDA

View Full Version : 300TDI Lower Radiator Hose Warped Fittings

collinbrewer
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
In the middle of a 3000 mile road trip I was lucky enough to receive a blistering dose of antifreeze through my firewall. My lower radiator hose blew off the fitting.

I was able to limp along to a supply house and rig up a new fitting. But, ultimately, I couldn't get the leaking to stop, and in order to save my wife's sanity, shipped my D110 home, and flew home.

Now, back at home with proper tools in hands, I've been unsuccessful in keeping the lower hose from leaking. Upon further inspection, I've found the two fittings to be quite warped and of particularly bad design. I started suspecting that this was a hack job. I should mention that the motor is a donor from a Disco.

Does anybody else have these fittings on their 300TDI? If so, are you having the same problems and where do you buy replacements?

Here are the pics of one of the warped fittings(this is the lower one).

Thanks in advance!

Boston
10-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Was that going to the heater matrix? Looks too garden hose quality to me. Suspect its not designed for the coolant's heat and warped as a result.

collinbrewer
10-11-2012, 02:18 PM
My thoughts exactly. These pieces were inline from the water pump to the lower radiator hose. The lines that branched off went to 1. the radiator fill tank and 2. the top of the motor.

They don't look like a traditional high pressure, hose clamp style fitting... they look more like low pressure, water hose type press fit type fittings. These pieces have multiple barbs and no flat spot for a hose clamp to get seated.

I've ordered a new piece from RN and it is a bonded, one-piece hose. From pictures on Atlantic British, they have a version that might include multiple pieces. As you can understand, I'm steering away from that version because of my experience with it...

Boston
11-04-2012, 09:27 AM
How did things work out?