PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to anti-burst door locks - HELP.

VTRover
05-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Is it possible to fit these and get the doors to close without a SLAM!. Seems impossible to get it to close securely with a "CLICK" not a BANG!

Any thoughts? Wonder if the fact I have new door seals (installed last summer) has anything to do with it.

Tim Smith
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Are you saying that you had the old style locks in the truck before the anti-burst locks were installed?

My anti burst locks close just fine, but I have had to readjust the doors and oil the mechanisms to keep it that way.

VTRover
05-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Yes I have upgraded to anti-burst. I'm thinking that the new door seals are the problem with an easy door close.

Tim Smith
05-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, I've gotta ask. What is banging?

Other than pushing the door out a bit, I'm not sure what the door seals could be doing that is bad.

Have you checked alignment on the lock?

Momo
05-27-2007, 12:49 AM
This sounds like an alignment problem. Are your doors matching up to the body lines? Are the gaps along the leading and trailing edges consistent? If so then the next suspect is the latch itself. Stick your head in the window while closing the door slowly and watch the latch engage with its seat. Also examine the seat and latch for shiny areas indicating rub.

The door seals could be a problem if they aren't laying down properly, especially the leading edge since it has that dogleg.

I'm still using the old style Series II handles and they are in pretty crappy shape, but a friend has a 109 with the same early stuff and his doors click shut with just a gentle swing. When everything is aligned and all parts are in good shape the early stuff works amazingly well. Since you've upgraded your doors should shut with ease, just a matter of tracing it down carefully.

VTRover
05-27-2007, 11:45 AM
It's gotta be the door seals. The striker and clasp don't even touch until 80% closure so it's aligned properly. Everything else is good and the gaps all are even.

a109
05-27-2007, 05:16 PM
The striker could be too far in.
John

Jim-ME
05-29-2007, 05:20 AM
Sounds like the new door seals are the culprit. I'd give it some time for the seals to flatten out.

daveb
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
wow. I have never seen that. I'm impressed! Does he have door seals?:D

a friend has a 109 with the same early stuff and his doors click shut with just a gentle swing.

jp-
05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Sounds like the new door seals are the culprit. I'd give it some time for the seals to flatten out.

Lots of time... At least 20 years should do it.

It has been 6 years on the 109" and my door seals are still not worn in.

Momo
05-29-2007, 06:49 PM
wow. I have never seen that. I'm impressed! Does he have door seals?

Yeah Dave, he has all the seals. I know it's hard to believe, but these doors close like they were on a Mercedes. They need only the slightest effort to close perfectly. The click of the door latching is so satisfying and yet so maddening.

I can't believe I get so into this crap.

Dear Lord, I am a Rover geek.

daveb
05-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah Dave, he has all the seals. I know it's hard to believe, but these doors close like they were on a Mercedes. They need only the slightest effort to close perfectly. The click of the door latching is so satisfying and yet so maddening.

I can't believe I get so into this crap.

Dear Lord, I am a Rover geek.

:) that is an impressive achievement. usually it helps if the car has never been apart. and we all are, don't worry. and it doesn't get better.

Dav1550
05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
I"ll have to chime in with the trouble being the door seals.... I read once where the seals need to be trained into position, but in truth believe it's more like "beat into submission"! Then as JP- mentioned it will also take some time for the seals to settle in place to where the doors will close up as you would possibly like...

Check back with us after the end next presidential administration if the problems persist.:rolleyes:

Dave

Tim Smith
05-30-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm real surprised about the new door seals being an issue... Are you folks using original series door seals or defender seals?

I wonder if NOS (new original stock) seals get a bit hard after sitting in their packaging for a couple of decades or perhaps that isn't the case at all.
:confused:

jp-
05-30-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm real surprised about the new door seals being an issue... Are you folks using original series door seals or defender seals?

I wonder if NOS (new original stock) seals get a bit hard after sitting in their packaging for a couple of decades or perhaps that isn't the case at all.
:confused:

Tim,

I have tried two different types of seals. On the 109", I used replacement Land Rover seals all the way around, with the metal inserts in them. They worked well, but are quite stiff. They are Land Rover parts, but I spoke with one vendor who said that they are made quite a bit thicker than the originals.

On the 88", I used a seal that is the exact same shape as the original, but with no metal insert. These worked much better and are more flexible, plus half the price. They are still quite stiff, but not so much without the metal. The doors do close well, but still very tight aginst the rubber. Time will tell how both are going to "wear in."

Dav1550
05-31-2007, 04:42 AM
The ome replacement seals appeared to be like for like when replacing the seals on my 109sw...The newer ones may be of a more durable compound, ??? and it the one NOS seal that was used might have been softer.... But they fit up well and I;m happy enough with them.
It;s more the case in knowing that it takes a bit of effort and time to get the ome seals settled in place.
Easy enough to be caught off guard and ponder that something is wrong when the doors are not wanting to close after replacing the seals... But taking into account the relative lite weight of the doors and the rigidness of the seals, brings about one more quirky nature of series ownership & repair.:D

May have to adjust the door catches out and in time adjust them back in. When I went to install the side doors seals I ended up mounting the trailing edges firsts and then followed up later with the leading edge seals. This seemed to make things go a bit easier...

Dave

74 109sw
00 SII