PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater

Rat Patrol
10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Is anyone using a block heater on thier 2.25 Petrol?

We keep PHYDXO in the garage during the winter but like most its not heated the can get down to the teens when the windchill hits -20f outside. I should also mention PHYXDO is the daily driver during the winter months.

LaneRover
10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Is anyone using a block heater on thier 2.25 Petrol?

We keep PHYDXO in the garage during the winter but like most its not heated the can get down to the teens when the windchill hits -20f outside. I should also mention PHYXDO is the daily driver during the winter months.

I have used a coolant heater that is placed in the lower radiator to engine hose. It works well, definitely makes a difference in starting. You could put it on a timer if you are usually leaving at about the same time each day.

mearstrae
10-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I also use one of the lower hose heaters on my SIII v-8 (long story) and it works quite well. Got the thing from a postal jeep at the wrecking yard for $5.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

Rat Patrol
10-12-2012, 03:05 PM
I trying to decide between the freeze plug version and the lower hose version at this point.

LaneRover
10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I trying to decide between the freeze plug version and the lower hose version at this point.

The lower hose version does work well. I think that the freeze plug version would probably heat things up quicker being directly in the engine itself. If the engine is already in the hose version would most likely be easier to install.

Brent