PDA

View Full Version : Grey sludge in fuel filter

rickv100
10-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I have been having some problems with my Land Rover since August. It looks like the fuel must have disolved some previous owners patching of the fuel tank.

Any thoughts of how to dispose of 1/2 tank of fuel? I figure I need to drain it and flush the tank.

I already blew out the lines but it is already acting up again.

Rick

bkreutz
10-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Don't know where you live, but around here they have hazardous waste disposal sites. Doesn't cost anything. I guess they figure it's better to accept the stuff than having people dump it in the ditch somewhere.

disco2hse
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Can you filter it? Say, through a stocking?

stomper
10-15-2012, 05:54 AM
Around here, we just have a big ole bon fire, and burn it. Make sure you put the gas on FIRST, and then light the fire from a distance! Don't want anymore Blitz gas can incidents!

rickv100
10-15-2012, 07:45 AM
The County Landfill has hazardous material collection twice a year. I am in a suburban area so burning is probably not an option.

Rick

I Leak Oil
10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
It probably is a coating that's disolving but.....my neighbor had a heck of a time with the fuel lines getting clogged with gray goop on his boat last year. It was the ethanol in the fuel that was the culprit. He had to clean the tank, replaced all the lines and replaced the pump.

I'd also recommend the burning solution. May as well have some fun with it!

cedryck
10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Solve the problem completely by replacing the tank, not that expensive. Cheers,