PDA

View Full Version : SII gearbox and transfer case confusion

jcutler
10-17-2012, 10:17 AM
My head is swimming...I'm hoping someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of LR anatomy can help. I have a '59 SII truck. The tranny has no suffix letter, so I infer that it is a suffix A, but it does not have a dipstick. The transfer case is my current project; it appears that it is not a suffix A, since the intermediate gear shaft is large (1.62") on one end, smaller on the other (I think suffix A shafts were smaller overall). But I can't tell if it's a suffix B or C. Since I need to try to find a new low gear wheel and new intermediate gear I need to know which it is. Does anyone have a way to to sort this out? For instance, is the number of teeth on the low gear wheel different from the A/B unit vs C? Is there something about the intermediate gear that would be telling (the parts manual shows different part #'s for A, B, and C)? Thanks everyone for the help.

I Leak Oil
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
For what it's worth, I have 4 transfer cases here and I cannot find a suffix letter on any of them. Easy to find on the transmission, but transfer case? I've had no luck..

jopa
10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Joel,
Is the intermediate shaft hole the same size front and back?...if so then its the early pre-suffix and suffix A style. B and newer (C,D, E, etc) suffix boxes used the larger diameter intermediate gear shaft.
B suffix boxes used the same low gear wheel as the pre suffix and A boxes giving them a lower low range. The B intermediate gear is different then the newer (C,D,E, etc) in that the gear count is the same as the presuffix and A's but the bearings and shaft are the later style. They can be sourced from England from several sources...I know from just ordering two sets. I can check the tooth counts on the low range wheel and the gears when I get home. Hope this helps. John

jcutler
10-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Joel,
Is the intermediate shaft hole the same size front and back?...if so then its the early pre-suffix and suffix A style. B and newer (C,D, E, etc) suffix boxes used the larger diameter intermediate gear shaft.
B suffix boxes used the same low gear wheel as the pre suffix and A boxes giving them a lower low range. The B intermediate gear is different then the newer (C,D,E, etc) in that the gear count is the same as the presuffix and A's but the bearings and shaft are the later style. They can be sourced from England from several sources...I know from just ordering two sets. I can check the tooth counts on the low range wheel and the gears when I get home. Hope this helps. John

The intermediate shaft is large on one end and small on the other. That was actually my first clue that I don't have a suffix A transfer case. I noticed that the part number for the O-ring on the shaft was the same as the one for the speedo pinion and knew it would never fit... I think the answer lies in the number of teeth on the low gear wheel - if you could count them it would be enormously helpful! And if you don't mind my asking - where did you source them? You can pm me if you want.... Joel

jopa
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
The intermediate shaft is large on one end and small on the other. That was actually my first clue that I don't have a suffix A transfer case. I noticed that the part number for the O-ring on the shaft was the same as the one for the speedo pinion and knew it would never fit... I think the answer lies in the number of teeth on the low gear wheel - if you could count them it would be enormously helpful! And if you don't mind my asking - where did you source them? You can pm me if you want.... Joel

On the intermediate shaft gear- the straight cut gear (smaller gear) on the presuffix and up to suffix and including B has 22 teeth. C and newer have 25. I bought new intermediate gears from Blanchards in the UK to make mine have the lower low range and the other gear from J Richards surplus also in the UK. I did not count the low gear wheel as you can tell which case you have by the intermediate gear.
I would get the part numbers and do a google search as well as ebay uk search to find the parts. I dont recall spending much for the gears I needed even with shipping. These were not parts I could find stateside- not carried here by our hosts or the other usual suspects. Keep your shims as the old shims may still be of better quality them much of what is new now...Good luck. Let me know if you can not find the correct part numbers. John

jcutler
10-18-2012, 07:25 AM
On the intermediate shaft gear- the straight cut gear (smaller gear) on the presuffix and up to suffix and including B has 22 teeth. C and newer have 25. I bought new intermediate gears from Blanchards in the UK to make mine have the lower low range and the other gear from J Richards surplus also in the UK. I did not count the low gear wheel as you can tell which case you have by the intermediate gear.
I would get the part numbers and do a google search as well as ebay uk search to find the parts. I dont recall spending much for the gears I needed even with shipping. These were not parts I could find stateside- not carried here by our hosts or the other usual suspects. Keep your shims as the old shims may still be of better quality them much of what is new now...Good luck. Let me know if you can not find the correct part numbers. John

Ok, now I completely get it. I can replace the intemediate gear and the low gear wheel in pairs to get the either the earlier lower low range or the later, higher, low range. Thanks! Joel