PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware, re: jerrydockery on the auction site.

ducttape
10-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Not only did he ship my item $9 postage due after telling me it was $14 to ship, and taking that amount from me, his auction site ad showed Land Rover green part and he shipped a forest green spray painted product.

I don't like to complain, but I don't like to see friends getting ripped off either. My advice is this guy has nothing proprietary that it is worth the grief and head ache.

Now, if anyone wants to buy a forest green oil bath....

crankin
10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
No to stir the pot here...I don't know the guy, never bought from him and have no idea what all he is selling.

But, what's wrong with the oil bath? Is it not able to be stripped and painted? I have bought things before and had to clean and paint them. In fact, almost everything I buy of fleabay I wash, clean and paint.

As for the shipping, Did this guy factor in the packing and gas that it would take him to drive to the post? Boxes and wrapping material can be a few bucks.

ducttape
10-17-2012, 06:11 PM
I understand crankin. It's just a case of representing x and delivering y. And having an attitude when called out about it. The piece was photographed, but he delivered another piece. He told eBay the weight and they calculated the rate (they always calculate in favor of the shipper, in my experience) and it still came due for almost ten bucks. And he used all post office materials and could have had them pick it up.

For this much money it wasn't worth it. I have no problem paying for what I get but don't like paying for what I don't. Just a heads up to the board was intended, that's all. Caveat emptor.

jac04
10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
No to stir the pot here...I don't know the guy, never bought from him and have no idea what all he is selling.

I'll second this and add...
I saw this sellers stuff a few days ago, and it took about 30 seconds to figure this guy out. He's got a bunch of used stuff that he paints and sells. To me, the fresh paint serves only 1 purpose, to make the parts look better than they actually are and maximize profit.

Buyer beware indeed.

I do agree that the item you received should have been exactly what was pictured. I have had this happen to me several times with NOS parts I have purchased for my 68 Camaro. The seller photographs the best part out of a bunch, then runs auction after auction to get rid of his stock. I've called every seller out on this and every seller has either provided a full refund including return shipping or an exchange for the actual part listed in the auction.

Now, you can contact ebay about not receiving the actual part pictured in the auction (as long as the auction doesn't state that the actual part may differ). It is considered fraud and they take it seriously.

ArlowCT
10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I have just received a set of wheels from this same seller (i am happy with them and would buy again). Fresh coat of black paint, you can feel how new it is but they didn't even bother to take the wheel weights off! Or give it a second coat! Shipping for me too was almost 3x's what eBay calculated! I have never had my shipping cost be that far off as a seller. So just be warned. I am happy with what I received for the price I payed but just like Jac04, it only took me 30sec to see what I was buying.

carl k
10-17-2012, 11:41 PM
The guy is John at Tidewater Rovers. The auctions are humorous to view, it's like this week he has a can of light green spray paint and next week it's dark green. There might be a few deals here and there, but the lack of a definite shipping charge is scary.

Also, I have seen some things mis-identified. I feel sorry for the people who bid $50+ dollars for "Land Rover" double groove water pump pulleys which were clearly Chevy or Ford, the LR water pump has a center boss greater than 1.25" in diameter and these were clearly 5/8" or so.

I had a question about the thread size on some hubs, even after a phone call he didn't/couldn't tell me if they were metric or not.

rickv100
10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
karhma can be a real b*tch sometimes

thixon
10-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Just to stir the post some more

http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-parts/tidewater-rovers/tidewater-rovers-they-are-thi-13bd4.htm

And more

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13456

msggunny
10-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Your not the only one to get burnt by this guy. I guess he changed his "name" after people started talking about what a turd "tidewater rovers" was. Sorry,

o2batsea
10-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I saw all his stuff on ebay and wondered who would (A) be so dim as to paint all those parts lime green, and (B) buy them. Right up there with britishnwrover.com.

parrie
10-19-2012, 08:46 AM
I've purchased several items from jerry's auction and have actually had pretty good luck. Obviuosly the fresh spray paint is reason to 2nd guess any purchase...it's a chance you take. I purchased several of the painted pcs and it seems to me that these items had been prepped for a rebuild as they also had primer under the green. I purchased a couple of hard to find gauge panels CHEAP and I'm very satisfied w/ the condition.

I also have no complaints about the shipping costs, they have always been within a couple of dollars of the estimate but then again all the items that I purchased were reletively small. I'm not a big fan of ebay's shipping estimate for large items, I've seen them be off as much as $200.

Boston
10-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Looks like he recycles parts most would ignore.