PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Hardtop fitting

boxerboy2
10-19-2012, 10:04 AM
I have a hardtop that I am trying to fit and have some mounting bits that I cannot figure out. I have the rear corners and the beaver tail locking ears covered but the rest is just not making sense to me.

Moving from the top center - 2 "L" shaped brackets - ?, 2 bolts for rear corners- check, 2 smaller "L" shaped brackets - possibly for attaching front to windshield header?, 2 receivers for locking mechanism on beaver tail - check, 2 screw-down brackets - ?

Am I missing any parts?

Many thanks for your help.

Cutter
10-19-2012, 10:11 AM
The two L brackets attach to the hard top front verticals- the two long bolts that go into the tub tops and hold the hard top down go through them... The smaller L brackets are clamp pieces that go midway down the sides walls and clamp the bottom Lip of the side to the top of the tub. Screw down brackets are the clamps for the support arms for the clamshell door- so the support arms fit over those parts when the door is open. You need at least 2 more of the long bolts to hold down the hard top to the tub.

boxerboy2
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow - that was the quickest reply in RN Forum history, thanks! I'll get two more long tub bolts, how about fitting to the windshield header? Many thanks!

Les Parker
10-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Just standard 1/4" bolts across the top of the windscreen to leading edge of hardtop. Plus, of course, suitable seal and weather sealing (silicon).

emmotto
10-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Just standard 1/4" bolts across the top of the windscreen to leading edge of hardtop. Plus, of course, suitable seal and weather sealing (silicon).

abou to do the same thing myself - when you say seal and silicone: where does the silicone go? I have a brand new rubber seal from RN - are you suggesting that I put silicone underneath or on top of it before attaching hardtop? I was thinking of installing and removing the hardtop seasonally.. wouldn't silicone make that difficult?

siii8873
10-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I have attached a few picture. The small angles attach the hard top to the top of the tub. My pics are from a 109 top but 88 is similar, just one not two is difference. As far as the longer angled pieces they go on the front vertical piece. See pics and ask if you need more info.
BTW if anyone is looking for a top I have no use for this one (no longer have the 109)
Bob

boxerboy2
10-30-2012, 01:52 PM
With many thanks to Les at RN for his assistance... now my next question.

I'm trying to fit this SIII top to a Lightweight. I know that the top is a touch bit wider than the Lightweight but when I put it on the tub fitted with the correct tub bolts (front and rear from Les) I find that the top bows to the point that the rear portion (lift gate area) lifts off the tub and does not seal. I am thinking that I need to drop the factory tub bolts and go for a straight bolt with ultra large washers on either end to give me another 1/4 to 1/2 inch of space to let the top flatten out.

What do you think? Many thanks!

Les Parker
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm surprised that this is an issue. On my Series III Airportable, I fitted a standard Safari Top using regular hardware, although the outer edge did hang over the lower body by around 1/4" each side. Do you have some pix you could post of the corner mounts?

Hey, I just noticed, this new web site now has spellcheck !! (it does not like that word!)

boxerboy2
10-31-2012, 02:03 PM
I'll post some photos when I get back home in about 7 to 10 days. I suspect that I have something wrong on my end. Thanks for your assistance on this.

BTW - found a site that carries the studs we discussed for the rear door piston. I'll send it off to you for future reference via PM.

thanks !