PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak comming from ???????

pitbullrover
10-19-2012, 04:12 PM
i have a coolant leak i can not figure out were it is coming from its up front on the drivers side the head bolt is tight and it looks like it drips down i think..i replaced all the hoses and had no leak for one day then it came back..i am at a total loss ..please help. thank you...ps. it on my 92' 3.9

Boston
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
How are the freeze plugs?

pitbullrover
10-19-2012, 07:44 PM
the freeze plugs are good.

msggunny
10-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Intake manifold?

bkreutz
10-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Your best bet is to beg, borrow, or steal a cooling system pressure tester (some auto parts stores rent them), and put 15 to 20 PSI pressure on the system. There are a few places it can leak - the intake manifold (as was suggested) or the coolant temp sensor, or maybe you have a corroded nipple (sounds painful huh:sly:) that's allowing coolant to leak past your new hoses. You can guess all day long but until you put some pressure on the system and see where it's coming from you're just going in circles. :)

msggunny
10-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Pressre test is good. Did you check your lines that go into the intake manifold? I didnt read your first post correctly for some reason. Not sure about the 3.9 but the top part of your manifold should have 2 hoses that go into it to provide heat to the throttle body and prevent "icing". I know in other trucks they leak, and its not always the hoses. The gasket can go bad.

After looking at it again that is where I would start.

Wallace
11-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Take a close look at the small (1-2") pipe in the manifold where the rubber hose that runs to the inlet plenum attaches. The pipe is a press fit in the manifold. The pipe will corrode and the rubber hose will leak coolant. The repair is a new inlet manifold (!) or you can replace the pipe only. I've successfully replaced them twice - on an 1989 RR and a 1998 P38.

As noted above, the small pipe is only a press fit in the manifold. Grab the old pipe with a pair of vice grips and twist it as you pull it straight out from the manifold. Don't break it or you'll have to drill it out. The replacement pipe is available from our hosts (ETC 6503 or RNN278). Since the replacement pipe has a 45 degree bend, it is difficult to get leverage to press it in place. I've had luck coating the tube with epoxy or JB Weld and then inserting it. Once the epoxy sets, re-attach the hose.

singingcamel
01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Kind of hard to tell from the pics but most common areas on a rrc is the thermostat housing, coolant line behind the water pump , heater hoses, and last but not least valley gasket.