PDA

View Full Version : shipping large parts

siii8873
10-19-2012, 07:10 PM
.what is the best way to ship large parts (hard top) accross country?

carl k
10-20-2012, 12:37 AM
I have sent a tropical roof via Forward Air (http://forwardair.com/). You have to crate it and take it to one of their freight terminals, and the consignee has to pick it up at their end at a freight terminal, but it's about the cheapest truck freight around. Their terminals are located near major airports.

Carl K.

siii8873
10-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I checked their locations and I'm not within 4 hrs of any of them

SafeAirOne
10-20-2012, 07:30 AM
If you know the dimensions and weight of what you're shipping, go to www.freightquote.com. Register there and put in your info and it'll give you a quote from about 7 trucking companies.

Dropping the item off at a shipper's terminal packed and ready to go and picking it up at a shipper's terminal on the other end is obviously the cheapest way to go but you can specify whatever pick up and drop off option you want when you put in your info for a quote.

I used freightquote.com last time I shipped and paid exactly what I was quoted, based on my accurate input of info, but a customer service person will follow up on your request for quote. They have awesome customer service.

Here's my last quote for an engine/transmission/transfer case from California to New Hampshire, picked up with a liftgate truck at origin and collected from the shipper's local terminal:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8105186974_f86440d124_z.jpg

Boston
10-20-2012, 07:45 AM
uship

luckyjoe
10-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I shipped a set of 109 roof sides years ago for $125 - East to West Coast. Crate framed in 2x4's and sheathed in luan plywood. Sent via the trucking company that picks-up shipments at work (I think it was Old Dominion). Make sure you negotiate a discount. last year I sent an Salisbury West -to- East and it ran me $320!

Based on Marks quote above, my freight might be a little more expensive today..?