PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! with Tie Rod removal

cbwhitley
05-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I am replacing my steering box and while I was at it I thought I would replace the tie rod ends. I am in the process of replacing the steering box now and I cant get the tie rod off the steering box control arm. I took off the carter pen and removed the nut. I took my tie rod fork and proceeded to separate the tie rod end from the steering box control arm but it wont budge. What am I doing wrong?

Buddy
05-26-2007, 07:45 PM
The main thing you are doing wrong is you're trying to use a pickel fork to remove a tie rod end. When everybody knows all you need is a BAH (Big A$$ Hammer). Just take a hammer and smack it real hard on the end of the control arm. Just make sure not to hit the tie rod end. If you really want you can try prying down on the tie rod when you hit the end. But normally just the hammer works for me.

In case you're wondering how this works. When you hit the end of the control arm you temporarily deform the socket which serves to bounce the tie rod end out of the arm.

Cheers

Edit:
By BAH I don't mean a 16oz finishing hammer or even a 24oz framing hammer but rather a 2-3lbs mini mallet.

cbwhitley
05-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks Buddy

When you mean hit the control arm with a BAH do you mean the steering cross rod...are they one and the same? I spent probably 4 hours working on getting them off. It is like they are welded on .

Buddy
05-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks Buddy

When you mean hit the control arm with a BAH do you mean the steering cross rod...are they one and the same? I spent probably 4 hours working on getting them off. It is like they are welded on .

Not sure exactly what your asking but don't hit the steering rod it will bend. Hit the end of the control arm see attached picture. This will work for all the tie rod ends.

graemers
07-10-2007, 01:07 AM
I had to use a torch to heat up the surrounding surface. This will expand, then give it good wacks