PDA

View Full Version : hardtop install foiled again

emmotto
10-22-2012, 07:10 AM
despite a recent thread by another poster, I found myself foiled again on my 2nd attempt to swap hard top for soft top. This time I came up puzzled by the lack of long bolts/studs for the front, what goes in the big pipe/hole in the rear corners?, how does the roofside to tub seal (brand new) go on? etc..

I think I'm missing some hardware (the bolts/studs) and some knowledge.. after removing soft top and bows and messing with the 2 roof sides for a while I gave up in advance of the setting sun and reinstalled the bows and canvas.

Who knew the Brits could be so fiendishly clever (or I so dumb)...

This should be a simple thing right?

some questions:

How does one attach new roofside to tub seal? It's flat with a groove in it and doesn't like to bend around the corner in the rear. I tried putting the groove on the edge of the outer side panel and using tape to hold in place - this worked ok but wouldn't turn the corner so I cut the seal into 2 pieces - I'm thinking that A: this was a mistake and B: maybe the seal goes another way? The top seal is obvious and comes with a 90 degree bend in it - why doesn't the bottom seal have a bend like this?

I haven't even tried to attach roof to roofsides or heaven forbid - rear door...

east high
10-22-2012, 08:27 AM
IIRC, the long bolts for the corners were nothing but a length of threaded rod and fender washers large enough to fit over the holes for the hoop bows. I think the seal might need to be cut too. I can post a few pics of my setup, but it'll probably be in a day or two. I gotta root for the Giants tonight.

leafsprung
10-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Fit the seal with the roofside inverted. The bottom seal is comma shaped. The tail of the comma goes into the groove in the top and the seal fits vertically and should stand proud of the endge of the top once fitted by 3/8" or so. It should not need to be cut other than to length. The path of the seal is radiused whereas the top forms a right angle. The seal should pass to the outside of the socket securing the top to the tub.

emmotto
10-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Fit the seal with the roofside inverted. The bottom seal is comma shaped. The tail of the comma goes into the groove in the top and the seal fits vertically and should stand proud of the endge of the top once fitted by 3/8" or so. It should not need to be cut other than to length. The path of the seal is radiused whereas the top forms a right angle. The seal should pass to the outside of the socket securing the top to the tub.

Thanks Ike! I just went out to the garage and now I understand how the seal is meant to fit - the groove catches under the lip of a retainer in the bottom of the roofside. It is apparent now that I DID make a mistake by cutting it - I'll have to order another seal.

Are the retaining bolt/studs that pass thru the pipe/socket in the front also used in the rear corners?

siii8873
10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks Ike! I just went out to the garage and now I understand how the seal is meant to fit - the groove catches under the lip of a retainer in the bottom of the roofside. It is apparent now that I DID make a mistake by cutting it - I'll have to order another seal.

Are the retaining bolt/studs that pass thru the pipe/socket in the front also used in the rear corners?

YES same as front ones.