PDA

View Full Version : Uneven front horns

NC_Mule
10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
1970 IIA 88"
Had a local fab shop weld in two new front horns for me about 2 months ago. I looked at the welds when I picked up the truck and all looked good. Everything has been fine since. Yesterday I had the Mule backed in my garage and noticed the front bumper looked pretty slanted. Did some measuring and my right horn is 3/4" higher then the left horn (measuring from the ground to the leaf spring bolt.. Measured a couple different ways and end up with the same measurment. I paid them 55/hour and it took 10 hours to make the repair. I feel like 3/4" is a pretty big error. Trying to put my thoughts together before I go down and have them look at it. I've used them before and never had a problem, everything has been spot on.

With the left horn closer to the ground I've got more preload on the left leaf vs the right. Is that going to cause alignment issues?
I have plans to mount a winch and plate in the near future, wondering of crooked horns is going to make it impossible for the winch plate to lay flat.
Any other issues this error might cause?
Is 3/4" anything to worry about?

Thanks pb

LaneRover
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
1970 IIA 88"
Had a local fab shop weld in two new front horns for me about 2 months ago. I looked at the welds when I picked up the truck and all looked good. Everything has been fine since. Yesterday I had the Mule backed in my garage and noticed the front bumper looked pretty slanted. Did some measuring and my right horn is 3/4" higher then the left horn (measuring from the ground to the leaf spring bolt.. Measured a couple different ways and end up with the same measurment. I paid them 55/hour and it took 10 hours to make the repair. I feel like 3/4" is a pretty big error. Trying to put my thoughts together before I go down and have them look at it. I've used them before and never had a problem, everything has been spot on.

With the left horn closer to the ground I've got more preload on the left leaf vs the right. Is that going to cause alignment issues?
I have plans to mount a winch and plate in the near future, wondering of crooked horns is going to make it impossible for the winch plate to lay flat.
Any other issues this error might cause?
Is 3/4" anything to worry about?

Thanks pb

Any signs of previous accident damage?

NC_Mule
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
No accident damage that I've noticed. Horns were replaced because the original ones rusted out. I've had the truck for 3 years, my buddy had it 10 prior years.

westcoastkevin
10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Measure the distance from wheel center to the top of the frame directly above the wheel. If you have a weak spring / broken leaf or a stuck shackle or something, it could cause the same effect. .... really the horn tip from the top of the frame should be a static dimension on each side.
Good Luck.

ThePhotographer
10-25-2012, 06:55 PM
If they were replacing the frame horns they had all the time and ability in the world to make them even, that's on them. Do you have any photos of your vehicle before the new horns with the bumper being straight you can show them?

thixon
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
When you say horns, I'm assuming you mean the two front sections of the frame that stick out past the cross member that the steering relay sits in?

That's a detail that a pro fabber shouldn't miss...especially at $55/hour for 10 hours. You sure your frame wasn't crooked before you took it to them? If not, sounds like he didn't do a proper fit up before burning it in. Or, he could have been in a hurry, or it slipped after he clamped it up and he didn't notice. Either way, I'd take it back to them. My guess is he'll be pretty embarrassed when he sees it (if he's worth a crap at what he does).