PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head core plugs 2.25 petrol

hankster110
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Due to coolant leaks under the rocker cover of my 2.25 Series IIa, I had to remove and replace the four alloy core plugs and replace them with new. Since they are currently not available from the sources I commonly use, I had a stick made, and cut and finish machined four. If I've got the upload right, here is what they look like.

Removal was by small drill, larger Unibit, and then die grinder with an aluminum tungsten carbide burr. Cylinder head threads were untouched and cast alloy blew out with compressed air. I didn't take pics of the removal process, but unscrewing them didn't seem to be an option. I cut a slot but couldn't seem to get sufficient purchase to get them to turn.

Anyway, they are going back in today, than I'll install the head with a fresh coat of paint. Pics will follow.

Hank in Wyoming

hankster110
11-03-2012, 01:12 PM

hankster110
11-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Installed pics. I use Loctite 592 Thread Sealant, a light smear in both the bore and on the plug. Screwed in, out, and in,72497250 to distribute the sealant. Wait 72 hours for a complete cure. It works!

I Leak Oil
11-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Cool...I didn't know those were threaded in. Never really gave them much thought and figured they were some sort of poured lead or something.