PDA

View Full Version : Painting my wheels

NC_Mule
11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
So I just sorted over 13 pages trying to learn about wheel color. I have a 1970 IIA and Limestone seems to be the color. How ever all the pics I found were of a differnt style wheel then I have. My current wheel is a faded silver with touches of black. Not sure which is the top coat, black or silver. Is limestone the approporate color for this style wheel?
Thanks pb

luckyjoe
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Looks like a Discovery 1, steel spare wheel. I believe these were silver from the factory, but they're 20+ years younger than your IIa! I would paint them whatever color strikes your fancy or matches your color scheme - limestone, body-color, or black.

o2batsea
11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
The disco steels were a popular look in the 1990s, so lots of trucks have them.

NC_Mule
11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Disco wheels, guess thats why they didn't come up in my series search. I've got 4 on the truck and a matching spare. Thanks for the info. I like them, they look heavy duty. 16x7

TeriAnn
11-08-2012, 08:13 AM
They are indeed Discovery I wheels which are the widest Land Rover factory wheels that will fit a Series truck. I've had a set under my 109 since around 1996 when a LR dealer made me an offer I could not refuse on a set of take offs that were shipped to the dealer under a new D90. The silver colour was Rover's idea of matching the colour of the alloys that shipped with US spec Discovery I trucks.

If you have a limestone truck you might consider painting them limestone as that was the wheel colour that came with limestone Series trucks.

For power coating wheels, a very close match to Limestone is powder code # RAL 1015. For hardware store rattle cans, "antique white" and Rustoleum Almond is about as close as you will find.

My 109 is British Racing Green and I have semi gloss black powder coated Disco I wheels under her.

7265 7266

NC_Mule
11-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the pics and color codes, hard top needs a Almond paint job. I have a green truck with limestone hard top. I'm leaning towards silver, plus my neighboor wants to paint his Alfa wheels silver so I think were going to paint them all next week. The stock Series wheels look great in Limestone but I can't picture this style in Limestone. Black like yours or silver make the most sence to me. I'll post pics with my new tires next week.