PDA

View Full Version : Running hot?

sleam
11-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Ok, so... My landie is running hot. I've flushed the radiator, new fluids, new cap, new thermostat, the fan runs, but still it runs hot, not in the red zone but close after just ten miles. Now what!!!? No bubbles or air locks by the way and it's a S3 from 1972. 7294

stomper
11-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Make sure your timing is spot on.

bentonator
11-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Water pump?

Jim-ME
11-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Have the readings changed on your fuel gauge by any chance? It could be your voltage stabilizer.
Jim

siii8873
11-09-2012, 06:02 AM
I had a SIII that I thought was running hot and after some closer watching of the gauges I determined that is was the voltage stabilizer as Jim notes. I also had trouble with the fuel gauge below 1/4 tank. What I noticed was that some times with the truck stone cold I would tun the key to run and the temp gauge would rise almost 1/4 way up on gauge. Not every time but the truck didn't appear to run hot each time.

I Leak Oil
11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Nothing to add about your heat issue but I'd like to see that donkey race your series!

sleam
11-09-2012, 08:51 AM
hah! Billy meets me when I drive up the road and races me back to the gate...it's pretty even at this point as to which of us gets there first!

sleam
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I had a SIII that I thought was running hot and after some closer watching of the gauges I determined that is was the voltage stabilizer as Jim notes. I also had trouble with the fuel gauge below 1/4 tank. What I noticed was that some times with the truck stone cold I would tun the key to run and the temp gauge would rise almost 1/4 way up on gauge. Not every time but the truck didn't appear to run hot each time.

I'll try to watch the gauges more. THe fuel gauge had been disconnected and I recently noticed and now it's working well, I think. I'll see what happens again today, when cold (ie now that it's early in the morning) and again in the mid-day. A landie mechanic from ALbuquerque has offered to come up with his tools on Sunday to do a bunch of checks to see if the radiator is running hot any where. I think we might take out the thermostat and check that too. Thanks guys!
sarah

SafeAirOne
11-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Take an ohm meter with you on a drive. When the needle shows red, stop and disconnect the wire from the sender and check the resistance (ohms) between the sender terminal and a good ground.

Look up the temperature that corresponds to your ohm reading on this graph here (click it--this is a link even though it doesn't look at all like one). (http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?1871-Temp-Sender-Ohm-Values-vs-Coolant-Temperature) If it shows that temps are normal it's probably your voltage stabilizer or less likely, the gauge.

If it shows that the coolant is, in fact hot, then either the sender is bad or you are actually running hot.

PS. My money's on the burro.

artpeck
11-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Had the same thing happen on my s3. Checked everything and it still showed hot. Got an IR thermometer and it showed the block and head were not hot. Turned out the ground on the voltage stabilizer had come loose. Regrounded it and all shows fine.

sleam
11-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Sweet! My thought was to go out today and when it shows it's hot I'll stop and pop the hood and see if it feels, smells hot (and not opening the cap!)...I'll check into the stabilizer now.

Took the thermometer out and made sure it was still clean and clear. I fiddled with the stabilizer, put everything back together and then went out for a drive for 40 or so miles. No problems so i think we got it! THanks everyone! Much appreciate how you help me out with this stuff.

s

busboy
11-12-2012, 03:18 PM
I'll save you hours of time troubleshooting. lol. Run a complete new ground wire from the body to the battery and see if the problem goes away. If this doesn't fix it next try a new voltage stabilizer but I would bet on the ground wire. Do you notice a difference with the lights on?

LaneRover
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Now for a REALLY important questions . . . what beer is that on the wing?

TedW
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Looks like a malt beverage on the fender - it is a known fact that the Wilks brothers specified this particular beer receptacle surface feature as a means of added convenience during the maintenance process.....along with the (II and IIA) underdash bottle opener.....

sleam
11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
It might indeed be an adult beverage, most likely A Santa Fe Pale Ale which I recommend. The opener is from the same brewery and with the keys. And to answer Busboy, I'll try the ground wire and let you know!

s

VTRover
11-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Uhhhhhhh re-core radiator?