PDA

View Full Version : MegaJolt system, submerged

hankster110
11-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Anyone got experience using the MegaJolt EDIS system on Series trucks? I know it will work but have concerns with submerging the crank sensor in the rare occasion of a deep water crossing in Wyoming. Opinions?

o2batsea
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
No, but why? If you simply want to eliminate points why not Pertronix? If you want wasted spark why not MSD?

thixon
11-12-2012, 07:14 AM
IIRC that system uses a hall effect sensor and a gear wheel. It "should" work when submerged, and will definitely work when wet (meaning water under hood from rain and such).

However, I have to ask why. If your the type that just likes to tinker and up-grage just to make something work then more power to you, I'm the same. As o2beatsea says you have a couple of easier options.

hankster110
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
IIRC that system uses a hall effect sensor and a gear wheel. It "should" work when submerged, and will definitely work when wet (meaning water under hood from rain and such).

However, I have to ask why. If your the type that just likes to tinker and up-grage just to make something work then more power to you, I'm the same. As o2beatsea says you have a couple of easier options.

There are quite a few reasons, the biggest being the programability of ignition timing and the elimination of timing scatter. Megajolt is one step on the way to single point fuel injection.

My question relates to the function of a submerged crankshaft sensor, not to whether MJ is a suitable upgrade. But I appreciate your opinion, thanks for that. My question stands.............

The Hankster

thixon
11-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Alright Hankster, now I'm with you. I wasn't sure where you were headed. Yes it will work when submerged.

Coincidentally, I'm about to work on mega squirting a TR6 motor, so your question intrigued me. If EFI is your final goal, why not just mega squirt the thing? You can go with the same type of ignition set up you're after, get the timing control you're after, and have the fuel injection part of the equation handled as well with one box. Its more of a project I know, but hey that's what its all about right? Are you planning this for a 2.25?

hankster110
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Well, it's complicated. I work in a British car resto shop. We want to develop several EDIS fitments at the same time using one set of gear, as well as possibly work on a conversion for an early Honda Goldwing. They are all four cylinder, and the British stuff uses the "same" dizzy. So an EDIS conversion on the Landy 2.25 is only one step. We can rotate the conversion components between several daily drivers to see how they affect mileage and driveability. And have to develop a relationship with someone local who provides competent rolling road services to do this right.
Whatever ignition map we develop for each application I assume can be transferred over to the squirt box. The only major deviation I see relates to the crank sensor - I'd forgo the Landy app if I came across a showstopper, it looks like I can proceed based on what I am hearing.

We're thinking of putting a plug in the dizzy hole and mounting the coil on top so stock plug wires will work. Not original but it has a certain elegance. Does anyone make a comb plug/mount unit to fit in place of Lucas? I haven't found a mass produced one yet.....

Makes sense? See why I left details out initially? Hell, even I'm confused now.

The Hankster in Wyoming

o2batsea
11-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Well, in the BTDT category, I can tell you that the 2.25 will run pretty much exactly like it does now. The only advantage that the electronic spark will give you is that there won't be any of the small mechanical variations associated with the points type ignition.
EDIS is efficient, and modern and all that. Completely the antithesis of the Series Rover.
To my mind, the better way to go is to use Megasquirt, along with the daughtercard that allows spark control. Using the alternator tach signal as your IGN IN signal, you can then send that to the coil packs as well as to a TBI injector. That keeps everything pretty much reversible, uses off the shelf parts, and is easily tuned with a laptop.
You can use a low pressure electric fuel pump as the TBI needs only 14-17 psi.
Early Goldwing is already a sorta EDIS. Only thing is the points control the coil packs. Works great, why mess with it? The carbs are the bigger problem....

thixon
11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Hankster,
Cool idea that could develop into something to sell to your customers. You could sell the solid state, better mileage angle, better ignition control angle, along with curing some timing issues on a customers tired motor without doing a major overhaul. I like it.

Transferring the mapping should be no problem. Even if it is, you can develop a starter map based on the data you have after testing to program the mega squirt assuming you go that route later.

The idea of putting the coil where the dizzy went is cool, but I have never seen a plug or plate made for that purpose (which doesn't mean they don't exist by any means).

Last question... are there a lot of brit cars in Montana?

hankster110
11-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Don't know about Montana, but there are a few british cars in Wyoming. I own three...........

thixon
11-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Whoops...meant Wyonming, typed Montana. Sorry.