PDA

View Full Version : BANG!!!!!!! Busted ilder shaft?

neofeudal
11-11-2012, 04:14 PM
OK...so I pull up to a light and put my Land Rover S3 in neutral and my foot on the brake. Light changes, I push in the clutch and there is a loud BANG! It just grinds when I try to put it in gear.

A guy who saw it all says it is a busted idler shaft. Maybe it is...I have no clue.

But I also wonder if it is something to do with the clutch...I had to pump it like 10 times on startup before it would work to go into gear, but once so primed, would work fine all day.

Anybody else have something like this happen?

Thanks!
--Jason

P.S.
I bought the Landy like two months ago and only just got it road-worthy. So I'm bummed! Thanks for any ideas. I will pass them on to my trusted mechanic, as it might help him out to hear from the real-world pros on this board.

SafeAirOne
11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Make sure your transfer case (red lever) is in gear.

Can you move if you put the yellow lever down into 4wd?

When in 1st gear and 2WD with the clutch pedal out, does the rear driveshaft spin?

If so, check the drive flanges that are bolted to the hubs to see if the splines are stripped out. They strip out often.

If they all look good, remove each drive shaft and see if they are snapped.

73series88
11-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Probably snapped a halph shaft.
Lock your hubs and put it in 4wd
If it moves that's it.
If not I'm not sure
Same thing happened to me this summer
No big deal if Thas it
Good luck Aaron

jac04
11-12-2012, 06:44 AM
^^ Go back and read the original post.

Jason stated that the bang occurred when he pressed on the clutch pedal, trying to go from neutral into 1st gear, and he can't get it into gear now. If it was a broken axle shaft (or similar), then it would have 'banged' when he let off the clutch pedal once in gear and he would have been able to get it into gear afterward. Trust me, I've broken axle shafts, a diff. ring gear, and a transmission layshaft, and what Jason is describing is not one of these.

I think the clutch pressure plate experienced a failure of the finger springs. Some were probably broken already - since he had to pump the clutch pedal to get it into gear - then once the others gave way with a bang, he was dead in the water.

73series88
11-12-2012, 08:49 AM
ok i'll just be quiet.

I Leak Oil
11-12-2012, 09:22 AM
ok i'll just be quiet.

Sit Ubu sit....good dog...:nono:

73series88
11-12-2012, 09:57 AM
woof!
aaron

busboy
11-12-2012, 03:10 PM
It's easy enough to see if the hydraulic part of the clutch is working and if so then you probably have had a mechanical failure of the clutch pressure plate. It can be driven by shutting the engine off and selecting second gear then start the engine, the landrover will jerk forward and the engine will start so drive away changing gears by matching revs to road speed. To stop select neutral and shut the engine off. To remove the clutch and pressure plate it's easiest to remove the transmission through the passenger door with a hydraulic lift. While it's apart resurface the flywheel and have a starter ring gear available to install at this time, also replace the throw out bearing and possibly the pilot bushing for the few bucks it costs. Because you were having clutch problems hydraulically you should replace the clutch slave and master cylinders as they are cheap. If you decide to pressure wash the gearbox be careful of the front bearing it's easy to drive dirt and grit into it, in fact I would recommend cleaning the inside of the bell housing with just a brush and solvent.