PDA

View Full Version : Flat Towing a 109

Lance
11-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I was wondering if the stock front bumper is strong enough to attach a towbar to & flat tow a 109. I am planning on putting a peace of flat steel behind the bumper for some added strangth. Also is there anything I should know before doing this. I think it's about 60 miles each way on a freeway to my destination. Planning on putting it in neutral and going. I do have a set of locking hubs for the rear but didn't really what to install them.

Thanks.

galen216
11-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Yes. I've done the same for probably 1,000 total miles with my 88". I also used a backing plate.

Just make sure you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in 4th gear. I wasn't clear from your post what you meant about putting it in neutral.

Lance
11-16-2012, 10:21 AM
I was going to put transfer case and trans in neutral. I will put the trans in 4th but why do I do that?

galen216
11-16-2012, 10:51 AM
That is what the placard on the bulkhead instructed to do. I can't explain it perfectly because I'm not that mechanical but it has to do with the PTO on the transmission. Even in neutral the shaft is spinning in the Series transmission. You need to put it in 4th gear to ensure the gears are lubricating the bearings as you go down the road.

I Leak Oil
11-16-2012, 11:12 AM
The bumper is strong enough. Make sure the front frame horns are solid and not rusted though.

busboy
11-16-2012, 01:38 PM
I believe putting the gear box into 4th gear stops the gearbox from turning over, the freewheeling is done in the transfer case. In my case I made a new front bumper from 4 inch channel incorporated a 2 inch receiver hitch and galvanized it, it's bolted on to the 4 sides of the reinforced front frame rails. Before I did this mod I used the existing bumper with a backer plate.

Lance
11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys.
My bumper is in good condition so just a backing plate should do.
Thanks for the tip on 4th gear.

ArlowCT
11-16-2012, 11:26 PM
I like placing the trans in fourth too for flat towing. Imagine what would happen to the driveline/engine at 65mph if the trans was in first and the transfer case popped into gear! This may never have happened to anyone but if it did I'm sure the results were not good.

I Leak Oil
11-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Even if it's in 4th and the transfercase drops into gear that's not a good situation for the motor. All that unburnt fuel washing the cylinders and possibly (probably) contaminating and thinning the motor oil out.

This is why some (me included) would recommend to do something like disconnect the rear drive shaft at the diff.

ThePhotographer
11-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Would it even be possible for a t-case to "drop into gear" at 65mph? Even if someone was trying to put it in gear?

Lance
11-17-2012, 10:02 AM
I do have a set of locking hubs for the rear but I don't see myself towing much so I didn't want to install them. But now I freaked out about the transfer case dropping into gear.

busboy
11-17-2012, 12:05 PM
If you have the hubs already why not install them as they would prevent the rear diff driving the backside of the gears. If you are worried about the transfer case "dropping into gear" just try to get it engaged if you are in neutral and rolling a little fast, it ain't going to happen with you reefing on it so it won't happen by itself, besides people have been following the factory recommended procedure for about 65 years.

ArlowCT
11-17-2012, 12:31 PM
In no way did I mean to freak you out, I think that is highly unlikely/impossible to happen. More than anything I was just trying to think of other reasons why fourth is better than first! Don't worry, trans in fourth, transfer in neutral and drive happy!

I Leak Oil
11-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Would it even be possible for a t-case to "drop into gear" at 65mph? Even if someone was trying to put it in gear?

Actually, yes. It happened to me, ironically, picking up a truck from RN several years ago. Front wheels on a tow dolly though.

Lance
11-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Good point, I won't worry about it. May install hubs if I tow much.
Thanks again.

ArlowCT
11-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Actually, yes. It happened to me, ironically, picking up a truck from RN several years ago. Front wheels on a tow dolly though.

Well I guess it is possible! I knew someone on here would have a story I it was. Did you have locking hubs up front? Did you feel it right away in your tow rig? Any damage?

I Leak Oil
11-18-2012, 06:49 AM
No FWH's. Luckly not at highway speeds either. I was probably 20 minutes from RN on a back road. Rear wheels of the towed vehicle locked up and the truck tried to climb up the dolly! The wheel straps held enough to prevent any real disaster but wasn't a pleasant sensation non the less.
To me, it's worth it to undo the 4 lousy driveshaft bolts at the diff and tie it up out of the way. Wish someone had suggested it to me way back when.

Jim-ME
11-18-2012, 09:29 AM
If you are that concerned about having the transfer case shift position just drop your drive shafts.
Jim

Manny
11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
What if you have an overdrive? Should you engage the overdrive and transmission in fourth?