PDA

View Full Version : Gauges gone dead?

emmotto
11-18-2012, 08:27 AM
My water temp and fuel gauge have both suddenly stopped working. "Working" of course being a relative term - fuel gauge worked intermittently and was only accurate when tank is full or on alternate Sundays, temp gauge never rose above "C" - even with temps normal and verified by spot thermometer.

So it's not a time for panic - "oh no! The gauges aren't working! Quick! Bail out!"

But it was somewhat comforting to get SOME info about what was going on up there in front of the windscreen and under the black rubber thing that blocks most of my view.

Ideas?

I have a solid state voltage stabilizer - I'm thinking that shouldn't be unreliable. Are these 2 gauges on their own fuse? Or is it more likely a bad wire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SafeAirOne
11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Solving this issue is as simple as putting a volt meter between the dark green wire on the voltage stabilizer and a good ground and checking for battery voltage with the key on. If you have good voltage there, check for ~10v between the light green wire and ground. If you don't have ~10v there, check to make sure the chip is proberly grounded (either through mounting screw or a black wire).

If you didn't get battery voltage at the dark green wire, check to see if the brake lights, heater and reverse light work. If not, wiggle your fuses around or check for a bad fuse. If that doesn't help, check to make sure that the dark green wire is making good contact at it's terminal on the fuse panel.

See the appropriate wiring diagram link at the bottom of this page: http://shop.roversnorth.com/Products.aspx?code=101&key=cat