PDA

View Full Version : intercooler for my 200 TDI conversion

Skookumchuck
11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
7332 Option 1 with intercooler in front of rad

7330 Option 2 with inter cooler at side of rad

I posted this in the for sale parts forum...blond moment. Anyway I was planning to buy a generic 2.5" intercooler and put it in front of the series rad and then put the oil cooler above it also on the front of the rad. My mechanic wants to go with a Disco rad and intercooler because the oil coooler is intergral to the rad. The TDI is out of a Disco. What do the resedent experts here think. The truck idis in parts in Canada right now but when done it will be coming here to Missouri, so excessive cold temps are not a major concern. Help is greatly appreciated.

The attachment is the power steering conversion

o2batsea
11-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Since the steering box is outboard of the frame you are more or less golden. You don't have to do either of those bodge fixes. You should be able to fit the Disco TDi rad/IC with only a matter of tabbing mounts to the frame and/or breakfast. Those you could prolly do up with stock steel and rivnuts. I think it is actually about 28 inches wide all together (I would have to measure mine,) but I think I recall it has room for the bonnet prop. Due to my previous folly I have already removed the baffle tins from the breakfast. You might need to do that as well, depending on how far forward the Tdi sits. Looks like you have a late 2A or S3 with lights in the wings, so you can push the rad pretty far forward as there are no headlight buckets to foul.
Since the Tdi is so cold blooded, you need not use the water pump driven fan. An electric puller, rigged to both a thermo switch and a master cut off switch, is all you need.

Skookumchuck
11-21-2012, 08:30 AM
I have a 68 with lights in the grill. The pictures are of other Rovers just what we are planning to do to mine. I found a new disco rad and intercooler on ebay I think I will have to buy it if it can be a straight drop in. Thanks for the info o2batse

Skookumchuck
11-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Just bought this brand new in the box, thanks again o2batse for the suggestion

o2batsea
11-21-2012, 03:12 PM
That's the puppy. Now I have the same thing that I took apart the frame and had it galvanized. I am still not sure if I'm going to be using it or not. As of this posting, the truck has a RRC steering box which is inboard. That means I can't use the all-the-way-across disco rad/IC setup cuz it will foul the steering box, at least the IC part. If I go back to my old setup, which is a generic Be-Cool with dual SPAL fans, all that schmidt will be surplus. I'll keep you in mind if I am not going to use the galvy rad frame.

Um just realized while sitting here that the outboard P38 box won't work for me cz I have shock towers in the way, Doh! I know there are reasons why i do stuff, but I keep forgetting what those reasons are.

Skookumchuck
11-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Did you put in a coiler converision? I am running para's and they work fine alot better than the stock springs for comfort. I am also planning to do the front brake disc conversion as well. I have a guy in BC who has come up with a kit that is mostly off the shelf chevy parts, I will see if he is ready to start selling them yet. Again thanks for the help.

o2batsea
11-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Yup coil chassis. I had parabolics before, but really wanted all the options that are available with coils (even thought about EAS from a RRC), sooooo.... Build thread (http://www.d-90.com/forum/showpost.php?p=301068&postcount=1)over on D-90.com (http://www.d-90.com/)

albersj51
11-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Did you put in a coiler converision? I am running para's and they work fine alot better than the stock springs for comfort. I am also planning to do the front brake disc conversion as well. I have a guy in BC who has come up with a kit that is mostly off the shelf chevy parts, I will see if he is ready to start selling them yet. Again thanks for the help.

Please let us know who this person is and cost of the conversion, if they get it worked out.

Boston
11-23-2012, 12:03 AM
A d1 radiator fits a series/defender?

o2batsea
11-23-2012, 07:17 AM
A d1 radiator fits a series/defender?
A D1 radiator/intercooler assembly fits across the frame rails and inside the wings, yes. It is more or less the same as the Defender assembly. The difference is the plastic air duct cowling. That assumes that one would be using a viscous coupled fan, which for a Series conversion you really wouldn't. That does not mean you can use it with a Series engine.

CMorris
11-23-2012, 09:45 AM
For those that want to maintain "inboard" headlights. Stock 200TDi intercooler reconfigured with simple mounts in front of 200TDi radiator (RN part #PLD496). Radiator mounted just behind front cross member. Spal puller fan mounted to TDi radiator. Smaller FJ60 power steering gear used to free up as much space as possible in that corner.

Boston
11-23-2012, 10:48 AM
A D1 radiator/intercooler assembly fits across the frame rails and inside the wings, yes. It is more or less the same as the Defender assembly. The difference is the plastic air duct cowling. That assumes that one would be using a viscous coupled fan, which for a Series conversion you really wouldn't. That does not mean you can use it with a Series engine.

Thanks. I kept my d1 radiator and its now going to be used on my d90 build.. You just saved me some big bucks!

o2batsea
11-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Those "solutions" are OK if you really really really want to use the Rover intercooler. However, the Rover IC isn't any great shakes and is, as every component tends to be, a compromise designed to fit a Defender/Disco front end.
One of my main considerations on this build I'm doing is to make any modifications look like it would have been done by the factory. Or, rather, it should look purposefully designed, mechanically attractive, easy to take apart and service. My apologies but the pics above look like a hack job and I wish to avoid that.
I think I may end up with a generic front mount IC that fits just under or maybe between the headlight buckets. Behind that I will likely use the Defender radiator, as it has the oil cooler in it. I might have to cut the radiator outer frame a little to miss the steering box.
I'm attaching everything to the chassis with rivet nuts, so it will look like it was made that way originally. This way I can put in a larger IC, and keep the "stock" radiator.

meatblanket
11-27-2012, 09:02 AM
My apologies but the pics above look like a hack job and I wish to avoid that.

Wow. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, as the pics above look fantastic to me.

o2batsea
11-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Wow. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with....

Yeah, me too. It's not a simple thing.

Skookumchuck
11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Got the rad and intercooler dropped off last night by the UPS man....Just like Chrismas morning. It is onits way to the Mechanic to get this build finished....