PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Linkage!

jonnyc
11-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Had a lil' bit of a scare this morning. Started up my SIII and left home. Coming up to a 90 deg curve I discovered my carb linkage was apparently frozen at the 40 mph throttle position! A little brake, a little down-shifting, a little engine screaming later, I got to a parking lot and settled it down. I've driven this truck for about 12 winters now, and this has never happened before. I did just move house, so perhaps I'm in a different weather pattern. I'll spray it down with WD40 today, and then air to remove moisture, and in the future I'll let it warm for another minute or so.

NC_Mule
11-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Man that's crazy. Spray it down with WD40 but don't hit it with air or if you do hit it with air apply a final coat of WD40 and leave it. The WD in WD40 stands for water displacement so it might help prevent future moisture accumulation.
pb

jonnyc
11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Yeah, makes sense.

Revtor
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I'd do a bit more than just hitting it with WD40 and hoping... this is a potentially life threatening issue!!!

Find the bind point(s) clean, replace pivots springs, whatever it takes.

~Steve

SafeAirOne
11-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I'd do a bit more than just hitting it with WD40 and hoping... this is a potentially life threatening issue!!!

Find the bind point(s) clean, replace pivots springs, whatever it takes.

~Steve

That was going to be my question--Where is it binding? The linkage, the butterfly, the accelerator?

busboy
11-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Gotta kick the snow off your boots when getting in or the moisture builds up inside the cab then when it cools off it freezes. Try looking at where the linkage goes through the firewall at the side of the drivers footwell.