PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Shocks??? Any tips

cchestnut
11-21-2012, 12:45 PM
recently purchased a 65 series iia 88 RHD. the vehicle leans to the right, and is about 6-8 inches lower with nobody in the vehicle. I am a large guy and have tried to push down on the front left, but don't seem to get any deflection in the shock. Any tips on getting the shock unstuck? Both front and back look to be extended pretty far. Is there a way to determine if it is not repairable(unstickable)? ..not sure unstickable is a word, but I hope you know what I mean. thanks

emmotto
11-21-2012, 01:03 PM
recently purchased a 65 series iia 88 RHD. the vehicle leans to the right, and is about 6-8 inches lower with nobody in the vehicle. I am a large guy and have tried to push down on the front left, but don't seem to get any deflection in the shock. Any tips on getting the shock unstuck? Both front and back look to be extended pretty far. Is there a way to determine if it is not repairable(unstickable)? ..not sure unstickable is a word, but I hope you know what I mean. thanks

What do the springs look like? It's more likely to be springs, I think.

I Leak Oil
11-21-2012, 01:13 PM
If the shock is truely stuck it's probably bent from being over compressed or the shock body is damaged. Either way if it's sticking I'd just replace it. If you do get it to move it will probably continue to give you a headache. They are in expensive and easy enough to replace.

cchestnut
11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
i think you might be right...i just had someone watch as i bounced on the bumper and the shocks seem to move fine...maybe it is a spring issue. The vehicle was suppose to have parabolics according to the seller...when it arrived they had been swtiched out. So maybe the old leaf springs are shot or on the wrong side? I have read there are left and right springs...is there a way to tell?

emmotto
11-21-2012, 04:03 PM
i think you might be right...i just had someone watch as i bounced on the bumper and the shocks seem to move fine...maybe it is a spring issue. The vehicle was suppose to have parabolics according to the seller...when it arrived they had been swtiched out. So maybe the old leaf springs are shot or on the wrong side? I have read there are left and right springs...is there a way to tell?

I think I'd be more than a little unhappy if the vehicle was described as having parabolics and arrived with std springs. How do the springs look? Are they flat or arched? Good std springs have a fair amount of arch to them - the truck sits up "proud". Do they have broken leaves? Are they all rusty and splayed out either side of the u-bolts? Does it look like the bushings in the spring eyes are new or old and do the bolts look like they have seen a wrench anytime since the great flood? If the bolts look untouched then probably there never were any parabolics... if they look like they've been wrenched on then the seller probably did swap out the paras before delivering to you - a very low-life type thing to do IMHO.

RN can sell you a new set of springs - either std or paras - they make a HUGE difference in how the truck rides. But the swap out isn't cheap due to the cost of the labor (either in dollars or in your busted knuckles) to remove and replace the bushings.

Someone else can address how to tell if the springs are "handed" and if you have them on correctly.

jonnyc
11-21-2012, 08:46 PM
I just went through the whole Handed vs Same Number for my LHD 88" front springs. I decided on Same-Number standard springs and I'm very happy with the results.