PDA

View Full Version : Use tubes for 16" steel wheels or not?

Arrington
11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I just purchased a 1961 land rover 88 station wagon. I think it's a 1961. I need to check. My question is it has original 16" steel wheels that have bias ply tires with tubes and there falling apart. I have found a nice used set of 215 85 16 radials. Do i still have to use tubes on these old rims? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Arrington
11-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Arrington
11-23-2012, 12:41 PM

Arrington
11-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Not sure what i am going to do with this rover. Just picked it up and i want to get it a little more mobile. Hopefully will get it running in a week or so. Also is there anyway to use VIN to find out any info on it? 144004452

disco2hse
11-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Question 1: I would use tubes. Make certain they are heavy duty tubes. Standard duty tubes will rub and fail.

Question 2:http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html.

Type: Land Rover
Model: Land Rover, Series II
Body type: Basic
Wheel base: 88in (Short Wheel Base, SWB)
Engine: Petrol
Destination: Left-hand drive (LHD), export
Model year: 1960

Arrington
11-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Can I use the original rims with no tubes?

disco2hse
11-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Depends on the wheels you have. There are a range of profiles and some are OK for tubeless tyres and other are not.

There should be a part number stamped on them. I would not assume they are the original wheels and I think the original wheels are not suitable. Something to do with the bead.

If it can be done, the real question is: should you?

Arrington
11-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I am pretty dang sure there the original wheels. They look to be a 2 piece wheel and are pop riveted together. Thats the reason i think most of these have tubes in them. But I was not for sure. Just trying to see what everyones views if i could get away with out using the tubes and tires still holding air. I am just wanting tires to stay aired up so it will be a little more mobile, plus just in case i get it running i could drive it a little. Trying not to put a lot of money in it right now since I am currently working on a 1966 88.7356

SafeAirOne
11-23-2012, 02:21 PM
--I don't believe that '61 88s came with 16" wheels.

--Radial tires with inner tubes will require radial-compatible inner tubes or the tubes will fail.

--The wheel centers might be riveted to the outer rims, but they sure aren't pop riveted.

--Different rim part numbers are tube-type rims, others are tubeless-type. Easy to google once you have found the p/n.

--Tube-type rims can often be used with tubeless tires. If they don't leak, then they're fine. My spare is a radial tire on a tube-type 16" rim and it hasn't lost 1psi in the year that it's been there. You never know till you try them.

Arrington
11-23-2012, 02:38 PM

pic of one spare, there 6 wheels total

Arrington
11-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Part # on wheel as I can see is 231601. What is hold the two pieces of the rim together

gudjeon
11-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I have never run tubes. Make sure the rims are cleaned of rust. Tubes heat up by rubbing inside and are a pain to field repair. When I get a puncture, I can plug it with a 20 dollar repair kit from wal-mart without taking the wheel off the car. For something more serious is what the spare is for. The valve stem will be the old larger FORD type. Rivetted rims are used on modern tubeless construction so going against that doesn't hold air with me. If worried, you can smear some of your favourite epoxy over the rivet heads inside the rim if you're worried. Check for leaks with soapy water once they are mounted and you will soon find out. I run tubeless 235/85/16's on my series 1. they have never leaked. As for the safety bead missing, that safety bead doesn't seem to be much help for boy-racer tires when they come off. I can mount/dismount/balance myself so I did it this way. As for your own piece of mind and legalities involved, is up to you.

Arrington
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
gudjeon,
I have 235 85 16 on my other rover. I would rather run without tubes. I just know it seems to be a 50-50 deal on the tubes. I just didn't know if these old 2 pieces wheels would seal or not. I am going to blast them and have my father in a law powdercoat wheels. Then i my put some sealant around rivits. I am just not sure what i am going to do with this rover yet. Just want to help mobility factor right now.

I Leak Oil
11-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Think it depends on the condition of the wheel. Some will run without tubes, others leak. I believe it has to do with the condition around the rivets. Can't really be answered on the internet in your specific case. My spare is a riveted rim and doesn't leak (until I go check it now, thanks...):p

I ran tubes on a set of true, 2 piece bolt together military wheel. Tubes were a source of issue more than not. Ditch'm if you can.

o2batsea
11-24-2012, 07:22 PM
231601 wheels are 15" not 16". Rivetted wheels can be run tubeless. When they make these things they heat up the rivets red hot and they are whacked with a giant press. The rivet shrinks as it cools pulling the two pieces together really tight. That's how they used to build ships long ago as it makes a very good seal.
Yours look like they have some amount of rust. I wouldn't bother with new tires until you've had the wheels refinished.
I had a set galvanized recently. I like the look of the "Rover chrome" wheels.

antichrist
11-24-2012, 10:05 PM
231601 are 16", superseded by STC3403.
They may be fine with tubeless or may not be. They only way to know is to try them. Provided you use talc in them, if tubeless tires loose air you can add tubes.
Personally, I run tubes in tube type rims.

One thing to think about is what size tires you want to run. The 231601 is a 5" bead width which is well under the specified width for many tires. They were originally fitted with 6.00, 6.50 and 7.00x16" tires.

o2batsea
11-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Hm. My old parts manual from '68 lists them as 15" as fitted to 88 models. Weird.

Boston
11-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Op says it has 16 inch wheels. 215/85 is a nice size
Interesting paint color

Arrington
11-25-2012, 08:52 AM
I think the 215 85 16 will be good. They are a pretty skinny tire, plus I got a good deal on them. They are used but there nice and all match. I could not beat them for the price. I am just going to get my father in law to blast them and powdercoat the wheels. Then i might put a little sealent around the rivets just to cover my self.

SafeAirOne
11-26-2012, 07:22 AM
The seal between the rivets and the rim isn't necessarily the primary leakage concern when going from a tube application to a tubleless application on tube-type rims. You should also be alert to the condition of the steel around the valve stem holes. This hole isn't sealed off when using inner tubes, so small amounts of water can get in between the tube and the rim in the immediate vicinity of the valve stem and just sit there, corroding it away from the inside, causing flaking around the valve stem hole.

Just evaluate the valve stem holes once you get the old tires and tubes off. So long as the tubeless valve stem you are using can get a good seal against the rim, you should be all set.

Revtor
11-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Arrington I cant help you w/the rim question, but if you ever want to get rid of the capstan winch, give me a ring!!

Enjoy the new rig

~Steve

Dietersrover
11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I use tubes. I have 16" wheels on my 71 IIA. I'm also using AVON tyres. never had any problems.

charo63
11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Glad to see that truck found a new home! I stumbled onto it in Canyon a couple of months ago but couldn't find the owner until it showed up on Craig's List. I have a 63 model and mounted my BFG Mud-Terrains without tubes. It's got the same rims as your '61. Are you in the Panhandle? If so, we ought to get our old rigs together at the river sometime.