PDA

View Full Version : Big end journal damage

superstator
11-23-2012, 06:16 PM
My engine threw a rod at some point before I owned it, and I'm trying to decide what if anything to do about the damage to the crank... I doubt a regrind would get it all out, and other than the gouges to the #1 journal everything is in great shape with very little wear. Thoughts? I don't have a ton of rebuilding experience so i'm not sure if this is no big deal, or what.

albersj51
11-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately, you won't know for sure without a micrometer. If it's all apart, I'd take it to a machinist along with the green Bible so they can measure it and compare it with the factory specs and minimums.

busboy
11-23-2012, 06:36 PM
If that one spot is below limits it could be spray welded then reground, take it to a place that regrinds cranks, they will have all the specs and can supply new bearings to fit the reground crank.

gudjeon
11-23-2012, 08:10 PM
I have had spray welding done before on crank (not LR). it worked great and essentially made it brand new reground and polished to original dimensions.

superstator
11-23-2012, 09:02 PM
I will look into spray welding and regrinding. Too bad, I was actually getting some momentum built back up reassembling the thing!

Thanks for the info